Im thinking of Importing C1 ...

C1 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

davidi
General Forum User

Im thinking of Importing C1 ...

Postby davidi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

I currently own an original 1978 Special Edition Trans Am (Smokey and the Bandit model). I am thinking of selling it and moving into a Corvette. I was originally thinking a C2 Convertible but the more I look at vettes on the net, the more I really like the C1 vintage look. It appears there are very few in Australia for sale and if there are they will probably be over priced. I have never imported myself but know of many who have so I am thinking of sourcing a nice C1 in the US and importing it. I would be looking at cars in the $50K ballpark, landed in Sydney.

What are the things I will have to change to suit NSW rego laws ? (I know my TA needed yellow indicators and seat belts).

Also, if I did go for the C2, I like the side pipes, are they legal in NSW ?

I have owned several Mustangs (1965/66s) over the years and the current TA so I know old US Muscle cars. Any other tips regarding buying early vettes ?

thanks
Dave

C5vette
General Forum User

Postby C5vette » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:55 pm

I doubt you will find a nice C1 landed in Syd for $50k

that means $40k car + shipping and duty and GST

sirfixalot

Postby sirfixalot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:58 am

C1 isnt subject to ADR's so basically import car & register unless car is modified then you will probably have to have seat belts, engineers report, maybee alter rear blinkers to orange more fore other road users than anything else

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:07 am

Welcome again David :o

davidi
General Forum User

Postby davidi » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I am not sure if I can get the car I want but I think its like here, you look hard enough and long enough and you will get the best deal available. I know I won't get a show car but a good clean driver is all I'm after. I do all the work myself so as long as the base is good enough, its no big deal.

Dave

98lux

Postby 98lux » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Welcome and good luck with the hunt 8)
1968 L36 4 SPEED hmm Big Block
1969 454 4 SPEED hmm Bigger Block

StephenSLR

Postby StephenSLR » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:59 pm

C5vette wrote:that means $40k car + shipping and duty and GST

Even that can be optimistic, probably more like a $38k car to be realistic, even less through a broker, of course it'll depend on where the car is located in the US, etc.

s

C5vette
General Forum User

Postby C5vette » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:05 pm

maybe a 61-62 doubt a 57 or 58

davidi
General Forum User

Postby davidi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks for the input. I have searched the net for sale prices so I can only go by what the ad says. I am still not sure which model, ie. C1 or C2 and then which year for those. I like the 58 with the chrome rails on the rounded trunk but then I also like the Stinger bonnet scoop and side pipes on the C2 verts. If I fall in love with something and depends what I get for my TA, I may stretch to $60K.

This is an example 59 on ebay now (BIN $49K):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrole ... 43b2d9f9da

My original question was mainly to do with issues around rego in NSW. I think if I stay original I should be ok. Anyway, I still have to sell my TA so its all just research at the moment.

StephenSLR

Postby StephenSLR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 pm

davidi wrote:I am still not sure which model, ie. C1 or C2

So you don't keep sounding like a noob, they're known as the straight axle (or solid axle) and the midyear respectively.

:)

davidi wrote:I also like the Stinger bonnet scoop

They basically are on the big block midyears only, of course you can fit a bonnet scoop on any midyear retrospectively. You won't get a big block with your budget, the sky's the limit on their prices dependent on condition of course.

davidi wrote:This is an example 59 on ebay

That's a gorgeous looking car, it would still take you over your budget to land it here.

Best of luck though we need more of them in Aus.

s

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi, And Welcome.
Best of luck selling your Ponti.
Someone out there will want it.
They do pull like a bear, and for a solid axle car from that time period,
they do handle fairly well.
But on the topic of a C-1
Solid axle car.
A decent one will set you back plenty.
An O.K. Driver may be worth 2 Trans Am's.
Still ,. . Hope you get your dream car.
Cheers.

StephenSLR

Re: Im thinking of Importing C1 ...

Postby StephenSLR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:56 am

davidi wrote:What are the things I will have to change to suit NSW rego laws ? (I know my TA needed yellow indicators and seat belts).

It sort of depends on the car and year. Usually it's only the headlights that need changing. If there's any mods like disc brakes then you'll need an engineer to inspect it and if the car has lap belts the first thing he'll ping you on is to have lap-sash belts installed. I find it unusual that by having better stopping power you need better seat belts but that's how it goes.
I guess if you stop in a hurry your body gets pushed forward quicker, :)

Looking at the 59 above, you could just scrape within your budget of 60k.

I've heard good things about this importer:

http://usmusclecars.com.au/Ads/CarDetail.aspx?id=1525

He charged a friend the quoted $3,300 and it included insurance for total loss only.

On top of that you'll have customs GST which is 10% of CIF value (Cost + Insurance + Frieght) as well as the freight to get it to L.A. You could get it to another port, depends on who you use to import and some will charge you significantly more.

You'd be crazy not to have the car inspected as well, so add some money on top for that.

s

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 am

Don't forget if you land one for around $58k (car value+shipping+insurance+customs duty+gst) it would attract an extra 33% "luxury car tax" so make sure to keep things below that figure.

C5vette
General Forum User

Postby C5vette » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:53 pm

only on the extra over $57k

davidi
General Forum User

Postby davidi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:39 am

StephenSLR wrote:
davidi wrote:I am still not sure which model, ie. C1 or C2

So you don't keep sounding like a noob, they're known as the straight axle (or solid axle) and the midyear respectively.

:)

Oh thanks, I hate it when I sound like a noob! :evil:

I get the "straight/solid axle" bit but not sure why 63-67 cars would be called "midyear", is it because they are mid 60's ?

DOC wrote:An O.K. Driver may be worth 2 Trans Am's.

Probably, but mine isn't a standard TA, its a PHS documented 78 Y84 (only 298 ever made). I always try to buy something that is unique and limited edition if possible, never lose money that way. Unfortunately, its a RHD conversion which at the time I prefered but now I regret. With only 1 in the country (now 2) beggars can't be choosers. I've missed the price boat on limited edition Vettes so in this case I will just have to go with a regular Vette. :C

Thanks everyone for the info and the welcomes. The import details are pretty much as I thought they would be. I hadn't factored the luxury tax in and it had me worried for second until SLR said its only on the excess above $57K. .... don't get me started on Luxury Car Tax, 33% thats just BS.

StephenSLR

Postby StephenSLR » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:01 am

davidi wrote:I get the "straight/solid axle" bit but not sure why 63-67 cars would be called "midyear"

It’s for us older folk who are still living in the 80’s. :)

Basically it comes from early year, mid year and later year models and the term midyear has stuck to 63-67 models.

s

Return to “First Generation C1 (1953-1962) General Discussion”