First Right Hand Drive Z-06 C6 in Australia

C6 Photographs; includes engine bays & interiors.

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

australi
* Founding Administrator

First Right Hand Drive Z-06 C6 in Australia

Postby australi » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:44 pm

A freshly converted (to right hand drive) 505 horsepower Z-06 C6 that I photographed today at Corvette Qld...This vehicle has already been sold. :o

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:44 am

To a bloke in South Africa too so Kevin told me last time i was talking to him :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:34 pm

Winfield RED wrote:To a bloke in South Africa too so Kevin told me last time i was talking to him :o

No; I originally posted that both were African bound, but Kevin corrected me; the red Z-06 shown here is staying with us. :o

...It's the yellow Roadster next to it that is leaving. The very first registered C6 in Australia is now on the road and was the red one CQ had at a show a few weeks ago. The export cars don’t get registered in Australia.

Actually, on our way up to Rainbow Beach on Monday, I saw my very first C6 DRIVING on the road, about 100 meters from CQ; I'm unsure if it was the Z-06 being tested, or if it was the first red one...

xrcrx
*Gold Class Member #426

drive

Postby xrcrx » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:33 pm

If ya get the opportunity take one for a spin! It'd even be worht a day off work! :-D

australi
* Founding Administrator

Re: drive

Postby australi » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:35 pm

xrcrx wrote:If ya get the opportunity take one for a spin! It'd even be worht a day off work! :-D

It sure would! But I think the opportunities going to be few and far between for us blokes and ladies on THIS side of the big pond! h(

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:02 pm

Hmmm, dont know that id go so far as to take a day off work for it, but then again my weekend is tuesday and wednesday anyway :-x

Panther
*Gold Class Member #460

Postby Panther » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:52 am

our C6 is completed as well in Sydney, just waiting for rego, should be done in a couple of weeks, then its off to Victoria to live, I put some K's on it, but still prefeer the C5 by a long shot

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 am

Panther wrote:our C6 is completed as well in Sydney, just waiting for rego, should be done in a couple of weeks, then its off to Victoria to live, I put some K's on it, but still prefeer the C5 by a long shot

Excellent!

So, the C6 isn’t as 'nice' to drive as a '5?

Corvette Qld couldn’t give me a drive of a C6 when I was there as the ones they had were sold.

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:12 pm

All im going to say is this. "if im not sitting on the floor to drive it, im not interested" (so youll all know i love the C4 and wont be upgrading until they make a another "sports car")

Panther
*Gold Class Member #460

Postby Panther » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:13 am

The C6 is a totally different car, the interior is as boring as bat sh#t, where the C5 is sporty, follow a nice C5 and it looks cool follow a C6 and it looks like nothing, thats what I did last weekend when we took them out for a run, from the side and front the C6 looks good but is still outranked by the flowing lines of the C5.
The C6 is 400hp from factory the C5 345, my C5 is 430 hp, I know what I would rather drive and it dosn't end in a 6.

Love the C4 and I still have my 92, they are not the same car, the 92 Z07 will out handle most with its stock supension, the C5 is just so much better in every way

Loved my old 73 as well, and still do, it lives across the street, when I went to the 92 you would never get me into a C3 again, the C5 has done the same, I would rather run around in it the the C4, the C6 nah don't think much of it

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:33 am

...I too have found the shape of the C6 very hard to warm to (when we're comparing Corvettes to Corvettes, not commodores to corvettes etc);

My test drive of the C5 was of course good fun, but I didn’t notice any extra power than my C4.

Of course, driving any NEW car feels & smells good.

Took me a few years to come to the conclusion that I even like C5's; I have still to see a C5 PROPERLY photographed side on, where they don't look like they are bent in the middle...in the 'flesh' however, I like them very much these days, but the C6 looks too much like (or Visa-versa) a new Mazda 6.

I agree; interior whilst neat is nothing special compared to any other new car and in fact, interiors of basic new Falcons etc to ME look better, albeit similar but at a fraction of the price.

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:09 pm

The interior doesnt make the car goes faster!!! It doesnt make it handle better!!! Less is more.

C5s and C6s ARE NOT sports cars, they are grand tourers. Look at the way you sit to drive them :-x (probably suits you older blokes alot better than me i guess :o )

The C4 is not a grand tourer, its a sports car in every sense of the word.

One thing they do need to do is bring back the digital speedo instead of the analog rubish. Analog is great for the other gauges to look at in a hurry, but you cant beat a digital speedo. :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:55 am

...Don't know that I agree with all of your sentiments above; my Mrs. Ford Laser is a sports car (when I drive it!) :-x

The C5 / C6 instrument layout is fine IN American form; I found, in fact, we BOTH found it a little difficult to read quickly at a glance the speedo on the converted C5 as due to changing over to KPH from MPH; the standard bigger numbers that we in Australia are used to (i.e., 60 kph 80 kph 100kph) were NOT as easily read. This is only a small criticism but then it’s just the way it works out I think, post conversion. I have the same problem with my C3's VDO speedo; a little difficult to ascertain FAST where the needles pointing to. 300kph doesn't help as all the numbers have of course, to be squashed up tighter, as do the C5's and C6's.

I'll ask you THIS Winnie-Red; in YOUR estimation; what DOES make a car qualify AS a 'Sports Car'?

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:05 pm

If the car had its original speedo, being a C5, there is an option setting for metric or imperial, so the speedo shouldnt have been changed. The factory C5 speedos dont have 2 sets of numbers (as in 1 for KPH and 1 for MPH) they have 1 set of numbers, and a light to indicate MPH or KPH. So converted or not, it will still look the same. (or it bloody well should anyway)

Im not sure if ive understood what youve said clearly there Australi, i got the impression you are refering to the converted C5 you drove as having a different speedo fitted that displays both metric and imperial simultaneously.

The simple fact is, Digital speedos are simply quicker and easier to read, which is another reason i wouldnt go up to a C5 or C6.

A C5 or 6 doesnt have the low down sitting on the floor type setup that a C4 does, so you might as well be driving a Mercedes Benz, itll feel just as good (or better). Thats all just my opinion on it all as you well know, im not interested in influencing the choice of others, apparently youre all adults with the ability to make your own decisions (Whether or not people want to be babies and take my opinions to heart is their choice!! :-x )

As Eric (XRCRX) will tell you, in his old 84 he came very close to beating a C5 fair and square in an auto crossing event, cause Eric was driving a Sports car in a Sports event, the C5 is a grand tourer and not as well suited to a sport event such as auto crossing.

Panther
*Gold Class Member #460

Postby Panther » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:53 pm

C5 and C6 must be fitted with the European speedo, the analoge gauges always read metric, the speedo must default to KMH, the us speedo defaults to MPH, reason being is that no one can claim sorry officer I thought I was doing 60k down the main street when they are actually doing 60mph, that make sense, every state is different, to reconect it so it can be switched to either after rego is easy, and is what I have done.
The difference is the C4 will always default back to what ever it was set on when you shut it down

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:45 pm

So what youre saying here Panther is that with C5, you have to switch to metric everytime you turn on the car???

If thats the case, that is a pathetic mistake by GM.

Ive seen a few cars in the US that have the 300 speedos fitted to them as well, however ive seen alot over here that have the US speedo still in them.

Im not sure about your 92, but if i unhook the battery my 94 comes back on imperial. Apart from that as youve said, if you set it to metric, it stays there til you press the button again :o (Which you would think should make perfect sense to anyone for it to work that way)

P.S. Interesting reason youve given there about the 60mph in a 60kph zone, anyone who cant tell the difference between the 2 speeds from the driver seat without looking at the speedo shouldnt have a licence!! :-x Would that rediculous excuse ever get you out of a speeding fine if you used it in court?? It would take alot of ignorance to make 60mph feel anything like 60kph....

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:14 pm

The logic and factuality of what Panther has reiterated here is simple; it's just like every other disclaimer - Manufacturers etc simply cannot TRUST all people to be very far from idiots; i.e., why they have disclaimers on hair dryers saying "Do not use in shower" etc; because companies are rightly sick and tired of complete idiots suing them for what is common logic (which as I've said before, ISN'T very common sometimes!); the same applies as outlined above; they can't afford a legal loophole to be sued for.

As for Imperial/Metric in C4's; I have the best of both worlds with my '85; it's called a 'switch' as you know; stays on whatever I last had it on when I reconnect battery. :)

I agree about digital speedo's (when they aren't flickering!); but it comes down to personal choice as to what others prefer.

...And no ones crying about anything mate; I simply asked what makes a car 'qualify' as a 'sports car' in YOUR opinion; from what I read above, it's the seating height - is that correct
:?:

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Id hardly say its anything to do with manufacturers and disclaimers (unless youre refering to the conversion company as the manufacturer), cause if it was they wouldve made it work properly and remember what ever you set it to like the C4 does. (i dont know how it works but from what i can gather from his post, if you set the C5 to KPH then turn off the key, it goes back to MPH when you turn it back on. If this is the case, that is simply plain stupid)

Since the C5 and 6 are sold in Canada id have thought they wouldnt make it a chore to keep the speedo set to metric.

If you were doing 97kph in a 60kph zone youd have to know you were going way over 60kph. Not to say no one would try the excuse, but think about it.... :-x

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Mate; you'd be surprised what bullshit excuses people come up with for coppers! :-D

XR_Strider_GuY

Postby XR_Strider_GuY » Wed May 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Probably digging up an old thread but I had the opportunity to sit in a C5 Corvette. In terms of getting in the C5, it certainly feels more conventional without the side reinforcements. I agree with what Winired says, in the C4 it really feels like you are sitting in a tub very low to the ground.

I found the C5 to have more space and of course the switch gear are more modern which goes without saying.
1990 C4 Auto "Corvette, its not just buying a car but also a way of life".

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu May 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Yep; the C5's and C6's are MUCH more like a 'real' car to sit in and drive :-D

Return to “Sixth Generation C6 (2005-2012) Photographs”