some work on my 77

C3 Photographs; includes engine bays & interiors.

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Re: some work on my 77

Postby Bazzas77 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:46 pm

yeah it was an old hood scoop ,that I'm reusing as a front of a splash shield on my UTR Cold Air intake.

here's the mold for the actual shield ,its just a block of foam cut to shape and lined with blue masking tape

no pics of it being layered with glass , about 4 layers and let it dry off and was easy to pull the foam out after !

here it is with a hole cut in it for the back end of the scoop to fit ,

test fit on car and joined it together while it was mounted to get the proper fit , then took it off and finished the joining all around

will have to cut the extra bit away tomorrow, then smooth it off some more

it has no real function , its just I was a bit worried about the engine ingesting some H2o . it doesn't even fit tight against the cold air filter housing , just shields it a bit that's all . if any water lays in the scoop it will just run out and drop away before it gets into the filter

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Very Interesting project. And I must say you have turned into one hell of a fibreglasser.
But where the hell on the car is this getting mounted???
Can't wait to see the installed part. My Air intake, (Also on a 77). Is a round chrome air filter sitting on top of a Holley 4 barrel.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:29 pm

DOC wrote:Very Interesting project. And I must say you have turned into one hell of a fibreglasser.
But where the hell on the car is this getting mounted???
Can't wait to see the installed part. My Air intake, (Also on a 77). Is a round chrome air filter sitting on top of a Holley 4 barrel.

Thanks Doc , I'm really only doing this as a break from welding ,I just got over it for a while , now I'm going back to work for 2 weeks .

I put a heavy coat of 2 pak primer on it as is this afternoon and its hanging in my container now . When I get home I have a few maintenance issues/upgrades with my 77 which I will address , so more coming in this thread later on. One of which is a leaky radiator ,so that's coming out .

don't forget my 4 barrel carb is long gone Doc. :o

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Havent forgotten that your car is now FAR from original!

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 pm

OK out with the "not so old " leaking radiator and in with the new ,leaks from both sides ,so much for a cheap E Bay special !!!

In with a new one , locally made , direct copy of an original

all good except that the original radiators have a bigger dia. hose connection so my hoses are no good now . So I find two hoses that will join in the middle to give me the right sizes at each end , and shape as well ! But how to join in the middle ?

:-x

while I'm in there , I got some nice HSV headers to fit so I can remove the rusty old cast iron pieces , but there at the ceramic coaters for some colouring already ,more to show on that part later (7-10 working days apparently !)

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Big day tomorrow , going to a fibreglass shop and see what I can get to make up a nice shroud for my new 16 inch single fan .Got to get my welder out and weld up my spreader bar brackets for the 77 as well.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 pm

went to the shop and got some stuff for a shroud , we will see if I actually can make it , it might all end up in the bin !

First up got the box that the new radiator came in and cut it down to size , this is my version of a mold for a shroud .

you can see I bought some alu. tape to cover the cardboard , then sprayed some release agent on it .

already had a 1kg tin of unused resin so I added 50gm of blue pigment to it , its good for 6 months like that ,easier than trying to mix it every time to use .

all mixed in , looks good , I wish I had bought some sparkles for it now :-x

first layer , I split the matt in half to get it thin so it would fold over nicer , I should have bought some lighter stuff but oh well

got carried away and ran out of resin so I will have to trim some of the edges a bit before next layer goes on .

I bought a 16 inch fan that will fit central and I hope just look neater , we will see .

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 pm

second layer on,

more tomorrow , got my new welder set up this afternoon , its got some settings on it that I have no idea what they do !! :-x

riverracer
*Senior Forum User

Postby riverracer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 am

hope you'll be finished before easter 2018 when i drive over for the nationals :P

be great to catch up :o :o
Speed has never killed anyone,
Suddenly becoming stationary that's what gets you.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:32 am

yeah this will be back on the road in a few weeks at most ,if you drive your vette over to here it would probably be some kind of record for an old vette. Have you driven the Nullarbor before?

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 am

sun has disappeared , foggy now , this 2nd layer of glass hasn't gone off overnight either , I may have to get the heat gun out later . ::

Will get that spreader bar on today hopefully , coffee first though :-x

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:22 pm

bottom rad. hose on first as it gets in the way of the spreader bar optimum position :-x of course it does !

now try to line up the bar with fittings swinging off the end and get both sides in position , well I did anyway and If I raise one side a touch it will clear the top of that rad. hose so start tacking things together for a better trial etc.

and it fits and clears enough , so a clean up of the brackets and a coat of gloss black and tomorrow I will put them on

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 pm

got this smoothed off a bit , more to do on it tomorrow,

and this is almost dry now , so tomorrow morning I will put another layer on , make it a bit hotter mix as well,

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 pm

well I thought it would be dry the next day but it was still way too tacky to do anything with ,so I got out the heat gun and that just made it worse so,

ripped it off and threw it away , must have not mixed the catalyst enough or something so start again ,

Going better now , wasted a lot of resin but oh well s**t happens . I have 3 layers on the top and 4 ish around the edges , going to take it off the box tomorrow and trim it down for a test fit up against the rad. Then I can mark where the fan will go so I can use what's left of my coloured resin in the right areas . I don't have much left and no more pigment . I had to get an adapter made for the rad. top hose so I should get that back tomorrow as well . My scoop is ready for top coat so that will get done tomorrowish

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm

well I got the glass away from the cardboard box ok ,

there's a couple of tacky spots inside ,so I'm leaving it out for a while .Painted the intake shield , got a couple of runs :evil: , washed the air-filter and will re-oil it later when it dries out a bit .

Return to “Third Generation C3 (1968-1982) Photographs”