Mysticpete's 80' "Refresh".... into the abyss! PIC HEAVY

C3 Photographs; includes engine bays & interiors.

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

mysticpete
General Forum User

Re: Mysticpete's 80' "Refresh".... into the abyss!

Postby mysticpete » Mon May 11, 2015 11:49 pm

OK so I guess the hardest part really has been installing the new engine, I've gone through two sets of Hooker engine mounts....

first set were completely wrong! Notice how I tried to cheat and set them on the rear engine mount points, nah... was never gonna work.

This was the distance I had to make up with the new engine mounts, also allow for enough of a spacing to put the UJ into the rear yoke

In and out like a bloody yoyo, but I had one bit of luck, a spare set of Camaro headers was afforded to me which fit perfectly.

First Sump, also a no-no, I ordered the wrong one by 1 part number, I could have used it but would have meant cutting the windage tray and I didn't want to do that.

So here's MKII which fits perfect..

I don't have a photo of the other Hooker engine mounts but the put the engine 3" forward of stock

So once I had the engine all together it was time to 'Try' and fit her in....

Next Problem, the transmission cross bar...

This was an easy fix tho and all I had to do was remove some of the existing metal mount to allow the rubber mount to sit flush and not be caught against the cross member anywhere, Totally recommend having a small and large angle grinder for this sort of work :) I soon had it all ready.......

...but then to my surprise the steering was STILL hitting the sump, just where the old piston seat was....

so although the second pair were correct (setting the engine 3" forward) they did not give enough lift to clear the steering rack, so in the end I made my own out of some 8mm cold steel which the great guys at Bits-of-Steel http://bitsofsteel-px.rtrk.com.au even cut to size for me. here's the result...

So at the end of an expensive bit of trial and error I would recommend making the engine mounts yourself, it's really not that hard.

So, final resting place now, a couple of degrees of angle but nothing to worry about with the diff being the fixed variant.

Oh and by the way, I just could not get the alternator to sit in the lower position and really, it's not very serviceable there, so I have ordered the Accessory kit from Holley.

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Tue May 12, 2015 12:33 am

Ok so a few other details...

I sprayed a fresh coat of paint to the fuel tank and fitted it, at the same time I fitted the rear bump shocks and tested them.

Part of the spare wheel holder..

Next onto the wiring, I took all the engine bay wiring out completely, mainly so that I could check for any wear signs or burn outs, also makes spraying the engine bay easier. So I got all the LS1 Harness and ECU etc. and have the wiring diagrams sorted, just need to remove a few that will not be needed and we are good to go.

LS1 Loom

I will leave the VATS enabled and will wire a relay into the alarm system that will engage to VATS circuitry when disarmed.

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Tue May 12, 2015 12:40 am

Body

I spent a weekend cleaning under the body and getting as much of the rust preventative 'Tar' off as possible (Why do they spray it to Fibreglass!?) I then lined parts of the under body with a heat and fire resistive lining that will reflect a lot of the exhaust heat.

All cleaned...

And then Lined...

That's it for now...

Trudgeo
*Gold Class Member #526

Re: Mysticpete's 80' "Refresh".... into the abyss! PIC HEAVY

Postby Trudgeo » Wed May 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Great work there Pete, question for you......Like I asked Bazza when he did his conversion, how does the heater hose outlets line up in relation to your upper control arm mounts???? In my '72 they were right on the rear mounting bolt, so i added shims to the engine mounts to raise them clear, but it was close! Yes, building your own mounting plates is quicker, cheaper and easier! :shock: :shock: fw) fw) :-x :-x :-x :o

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Trudgeo wrote:Great work there Pete, question for you......Like I asked Bazza when he did his conversion, how does the heater hose outlets line up in relation to your upper control arm mounts???? In my '72 they were right on the rear mounting bolt, so i added shims to the engine mounts to raise them clear, but it was close! Yes, building your own mounting plates is quicker, cheaper and easier! :shock: :shock: fw) fw) :-x :-x :-x :o

I paid about $80 for my mounts, I can get the alternator out if I have to .

I blanked off the original outlets on the end of that water-pump and added the bottom one further back towards the pump impellor and the top one is right next to the throttle-body.

Also that seems a lot of yoke hanging out the gearbox just to get the shaft out.

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Fri May 15, 2015 7:39 am

Bazzas77 wrote:
Trudgeo wrote:Great work there Pete, question for you......Like I asked Bazza when he did his conversion, how does the heater hose outlets line up in relation to your upper control arm mounts???? In my '72 they were right on the rear mounting bolt, so i added shims to the engine mounts to raise them clear, but it was close! Yes, building your own mounting plates is quicker, cheaper and easier! :shock: :shock: fw) fw) :-x :-x :-x :o

I paid about $80 for my mounts, I can get the alternator out if I have to .

I blanked off the original outlets on the end of that water-pump and added the bottom one further back towards the pump impellor and the top one is right next to the throttle-body.

Also that seems a lot of yoke hanging out the gearbox just to get the shaft out.

Hey Bazza
You have to leave enough space on the yoke to allow the shaft to be removed from the rear yoke for servicing, plus it's not actually bolted up to the rear yet as I wouldn't be able to move the car with the transmission in Park att. :(

My home made mounts cost $20 for the steel :)

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Fri May 15, 2015 7:43 am

As bazza said, I have blocked the origonal outlets and put in new ones, one on the top flat of the pump and one below the thermostat housing, will get a photo for you.

P.S. best to use NPT threads then you don't actually need to use any sealing tape.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:18 am

ok so that yokes not in the final position yet.

underneath looks real good mate :D

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 pm

So, I picked up a set of fans at the scrap yard on Saturday, off a VT series Holden, an exact fit for the original radiator, another piece of the puzzle completed :o

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Sun May 17, 2015 10:33 pm

... Oh and the other Camaro Header turned up so both headers are fitted now :)

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Sun May 24, 2015 5:23 pm

OK So I have a problem, the new pulley wheel for the hydraulic pump hits the upper A-Arm, can someone with an LS1 Corvette please advise me what diameter pulley wheel is used on their build?

Thanks in advance

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:32 pm

mate those "correct" engine mounts seem to be causing no end of dramas for you.

I will measure my standard one tomorrow for you if it helps.

those holden fans might need a lot of tweaking to fit in there

how do you test those rear shocks ?

looking good though :o :o

sirfixalot

Postby sirfixalot » Sun May 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Will the fans clear the upper control arm shafts when the body& chassis come together Ford ones take a fair amount of trimming to clear the arms & the commodore ones look deeper?

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Tue May 26, 2015 6:27 pm

sirfixalot wrote:Will the fans clear the upper control arm shafts when the body& chassis come together Ford ones take a fair amount of trimming to clear the arms & the commodore ones look deeper?

Noooo! Don't say things like that sirfixalot, I'll let you know!! haha fw)

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Tue May 26, 2015 6:30 pm

Bazzas77 wrote:mate those "correct" engine mounts seem to be causing no end of dramas for you.

I will measure my standard one tomorrow for you if it helps.

those holden fans might need a lot of tweaking to fit in there

how do you test those rear shocks ?

looking good though :o :o

I put them into the press I have and gave them a gentle bit of compression, about 1" and then released them, they returned to normal which was what I was looking for.

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Fri May 29, 2015 10:56 am

Started fitting the engine accessories this week, all was OK until I got to the Power Steering pulley, it is too big and interferes with the upper A-arm, so I ordered a 1/4" smaller which will fix the issue.

Had some issues with the A-arm bolts interfering with the new alternator bracket.

And the Alternator bracket

After a bit of reworking all starting to come good....

The water pump conversion was pretty straight forward

My thanks to Andrew at Apex Engineering http://apexcnc.com.au for drilling and threading the NPT's

Just waiting on the belt tensioner and a belt to finish it off.

Onto the transmission lines next....

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Sun May 31, 2015 8:46 am

Wow!
Been watching, sure does look like a fair bit to put in the late model engine.
although I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:43 pm

So progress has been slow lately, most trying to solve some of the challenges of doing an LS1 transplant, finally got the correct size power steering pulley on the 4th attempt :horse: also completed and tested the fuel system, which works fine and had no leaks.

Trying out some White dial gauges, not sure if they are right for it yet....

Finally after nearly 18 months I got half the garage back tonight, it's an important moment because it means the chassis is almost done, just a couple of minor things left, well not that minor, I seem to have Lost the charging cables that run through the frame from the alternator to the battery so I will have to make a set up, not too much of a problem but annoying. I also had to remake some of the connectors in the loom, the starter connector had melted!

That's it for now...

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:34 am

So FINALLY, after about 3 hours of getting everything lined up the chassis and body are one at last... :D :D :D :)

This has reignited my motivation to get the project finished in time for summer. :mad: :mad:

But still a lot to do....

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:41 am

Looking great, And yes, a big job to be sure.

Trudgeo
*Gold Class Member #526

Postby Trudgeo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:21 pm

:shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o :o :)

Ollie68

Postby Ollie68 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:56 am

It appears to me there is no hard and fast rule to fitting an LS to a Vette.
A lot of trial and error to get the final result.
I'm impressed with where you have got to.
I reckon you will have it going for summer.
Well done :o :o :o
:D
Ollie

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:05 am

if you aren't going to repaint it , and you have a working aircon already then theres not really a whole lot to do . wiring will be possibly the biggest hurdle, then its just reassembly !

Sounds good when I say it like that eh :-x

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Bazzas77 wrote:if you aren't going to repaint it , and you have a working aircon already then theres not really a whole lot to do . wiring will be possibly the biggest hurdle, then its just reassembly !

Sounds good when I say it like that eh :-x

:-o No, no repaint, just a bit of repair work and touching up..... Yeah... easy, all down hill from here :-x :-x

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Ollie68 wrote:It appears to me there is no hard and fast rule to fitting an LS to a Vette.
A lot of trial and error to get the final result.
I'm impressed with where you have got to.
I reckon you will have it going for summer.
Well done :o :o :o
:D
Ollie

Definately not Ollie, A) there is stacks of room at the back of the engine bay now......

Lesson 1.
Cut the prop shaft down, move the transmission cross bar further back and that way you can use all the stock F-Body mounts (excepting the A/C pump pherhaps) and have much more room for the radiator fan setup.

Aiming for a summer drive.... Just can't confirm which Year that will be yet :-o :-o

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Hopefully THIS summer Mate! :o
Best of luck to you.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:14 pm

mysticpete wrote:
Definately not Ollie, A) there is stacks of room at the back of the engine bay now......

Lesson 1.
Cut the prop shaft down, move the transmission cross bar further back and that way you can use all the stock F-Body mounts (excepting the A/C pump pherhaps) and have much more room for the radiator fan setup.

different ways to skin a cat but I unfortunately I reckon you chose the costly one :shock: but it should almost be done by now eh? :-x :-x

btw the original a/c comp. wont fit down there at all but a smaller one will...(kinda) ::

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:06 pm

Well, its been a while since I updated this post as I tend to use my FB community page for updates but here is a summary of what has been happening over the last few months..........

First job was to install the headlight actuators, these are working really smoothly and are a huge improvement on the old vacuum style.

Here you can see just how close the motors are to the A/C cooler (don't mention the springs!)..

And if anyone wants to know how to set the headlights then this is the way, by using two wooden clothes pegs!....

The other issue is the clearance of the bonnet, there's really not a lot in it so you must get these brackets in as small as possible...

Next job was to get the radiator and cooling sorted out, LOTS of money went on AN fittings and appropriate pipe work to get this completed.

Then Of Course..... The VT fans didn't fit in the end, due to the LH A-arm protruding right into the left fan, I have since seen a conversion that does work but in the end I opted for a new single electric fan producing up to 3000cmf which with the right sealing of the radiator surround should keep the engine cool.

With the plumbing all done I turned to the electrics, having already removed the windscreen washer bottle (substituted for a bag version) I decided that this is the best spot for the ECU and made up some mounting brackets, the fit is good behind the LH wheel arch, I have modified the main electrics, adding a main fuse block for the blower, battery feeds etc. and then fuses and relays to control the new and some old functions (i.e. headlights), it needs some tidying up still but it works.

Tools of the trade and a magnifying glass (i'm going totally blind on this project haha)....

extra fuses and relays for headlights plus actuators, fan, fuel pump, EFI etc.

The new main fuse block

The only extra loom I needed was two extenders for the O2 sensors which were a bit of a stretch for the origional connectors.

Next job was to get the brakes back up and working, a new slave cylinder was installed and I didn't have to much trouble getting the system up and working again, well that is until I discovered the RR caliper spitting brake fluid everywhere, turned out the seals are shot so replaced both sides with new sets.

And now the Bonnet is back on, another piece of the jigsaw....

I'm moving onto the interior again still pondering decisions that will cost more money Geeze! anyway I got to work on cleaning up and treating the cage, didn't take too long as it has only surface rust and is in great condition (compared to some I've seen!)

So Big decision was to go for a respray, there were a number of reasons for this but ultimately I wanted a better look, the colour is nearly the same Honda Red Metallic but this one just looks so much better.....

Prepping...

And the final finish.... Love It!

And off for the new custom exhaust courtesy of CES Racing .....

So after a fresh injection of engine and transmission fluids my Vette finally lives, the sound from the exhaust is smooth but with an underlying 'I'm gonna eat road' kind of feel to it, won't really know till I get it on the road properly.

One main issue is the OTR intake which I need to either design and make or modify one, for now I'm making one out of card board to see what sort of fit it will be like, it's all a bit close for comfort and everything is getting very tight now in the engine bay, this will def. be a MAFLESS tune!

Right now I've moved squarely onto completing the interior which should put me in a position to have the alignments all completed...

Still a ways to go tho.....

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:10 am

Well you have certainly been busy

You will love it when you can drive it for real and so much for not needing any paint :-x

Looks great :o

mysticpete
General Forum User

Postby mysticpete » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:28 am

Bazzas77 wrote:Well you have certainly been busy

You will love it when you can drive it for real and so much for not needing any paint :-x

Looks great :o

Yeah, after all the work involved, no matter how hard you try the paint work suffers, scratches and chips, just had to be ;:

Return to “Third Generation C3 (1968-1982) Photographs”