Another trailing arm rebuild thread

C3 Specific - Technical and Performance

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

ozziedropbear
*Senior Forum User

Re: Another trailing arm rebuild thread

Postby ozziedropbear » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:06 pm

68ragtop wrote:Next challenge. The rubber has nicely separated from both the inner and outer metal bushing casing so it popped out nicely on both. What is not so nice is the inner bit (right where the new ones want to sit) seems nice and firmly attached to the trailing arm in a surface rust kind of way.

Recommendations on best way to get this out so it can be cleaned up and the new complete bushing dropped in? Cutting? A big hammer and a drift? Find someone with a torch to heat and loosen things a bit? Soak in WD40?

Or do I just abandon the rubber bushings I have and get some poly ones that I can separate and fit into the existing leftover bits?

wd40 is a wonderful product but it works better with a bit of heat. My suggestion and how I did it was to heat the area and then spray with wd40, repeated a few times and then get a air chisel and collapse in one side of the shell

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:13 pm

Got heat sorted in 30 sec incements :idea: :-o Image

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Well heat from that tiny thing, wd40, and a bigger hammer sorted a few things out. I now have two bare trailing arms ready to clean up. Just need to find a way to pull the bearing casings out of the carrier and the rest of them off the spindles

ozziedropbear
*Senior Forum User

Postby ozziedropbear » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:31 pm

[quote="68ragtop"]Well heat from that tiny thing, wd40, and a bigger hammer sorted a few things out. I now have two bare trailing arms ready to clean up. Just need to find a way to pull the bearing casings out of the carrier and the rest of them off the spindles[/quote

If by bearing casings you mean the outer race that the bearing sits in then you should be able to knock them out with a punch and hammer. Clean them up first to remove all the greas and you should be able to see the back of the race from opposite side. i.e. outer race seen from inside of hub and vice versa. Tap out evenly... as for the actual bearing on the spindle a bearing removal tool will be needed unless Doc has another method. A quick google search will help

http://www.duntovmotors.com/tech-rear-spindle.php

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Yep it was the outer races I meant. Popped out real easy with use of a screwdriver and hammer. Started cleaning things up with a wire brush on my drill and quickly realised I'd prefer to just find a place to media blast them to clean them up.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Amazing how much can be achieved with a lack of proper tools.

Outer races popped out nice and easy with persuasion from a hammer and screwdriver. The grease was supposed to be red and black in there right :-x

More work with a cutting wheel on the dremel, heat, lubricant, and my faithful hammer and screwdriver and the last of the bushings are out of one arm.

Will attack the other tomorrow once I can bend my elbow again. Swinging a hammer ain't doing the damage to it any favours.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Mon May 02, 2016 5:20 pm

All bushings now out using the same method as the first. Also used big pulley puller to pull the bearing off the spindle. Grease covering it all was more black than the red it started life as. Now just need to clean all the parts, paint the arms, and work on reassembly. Might be another few months at the rate I work :-x

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:14 am

Well done

I added a few more welds while they were bare

Sand blasting will only go so far inside those arms , I put a chemical rust converter in there and then lots of paint to seal them , no one will see the massive paint runs inside :-x

Are you going to do the rebuild yourself ?

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Tue May 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Doing as much as I can myself because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do it. :-x. Might just end up wire brushing as much as I can be for a liberal dose of rust converter before maybe some rattle can kill rust paint in satin black I just happen to have a bunch of.

Started cleaning grease of parts tonight. Found my RHS spindle threads and shaft have seen better days and are a bit chewed from when the nut backed off and it ran with a few mm of play for a whlie a few years back. Hope it should be Ok to reuse or I'm up for finding a replacement spindle too. :evil:

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Wed May 04, 2016 7:39 am

I didn't notice the bearing face was chewed up on the FB pic last night. It must have done some moving around while loose to chunk that up.

bfit

Postby bfit » Wed May 04, 2016 8:32 pm

Mm not a nice look the damaged screw thread.
You may clean that up with a die nut, the problem is the thread is extra fine (UNEF 3/4'' 20 TPI ) it's not UNF.
Die nuts are not that common now days.

I'd look hard at that damage on the bearing surface, it looks like a failure waiting to happen.
Bfit

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:15 pm

throw it in the scrap metal bin or hang it up in the shed as wall art ! :-)

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Wed May 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Doc owns the die and I've actually had it for 2 years and already run it over it to get it this good! Yep not gonna trust it and looking to source one local but if not will put in an order to the us next week.

bfit

Postby bfit » Fri May 06, 2016 4:57 am

Check ebay
There`s two drum brake trailing arm set for sale, I thing the axles could be the same.
Worth doing the leg work to find out
Bfit

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Fri May 06, 2016 6:55 pm

They are the same 65 -82. Will try to find them on there.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sat May 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Spent today cleaning up the bearing carriers and trailing arms. Lots of old welding spatter on the trailing arms to grind smooth. The bearing carrier on the LHS where the newer spindle was looks like it's had a hard life somewhere in its past with a good bit of scoring in it.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sun May 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Hmm, thought I'd picked up the aluminium gunmetal looking spray to put on the bearing carriers. Nope, looks like I used the silver. Bit too shiny for my liking (so shiny it's reflecting the red garage floor in the pic) so might need to overcoat with the right one.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sat May 14, 2016 5:53 pm

More work painting, cleaning and prepping various bits today.

Found that the spacer and shim on the rhs spindle that is bad had had a bit if a hard life too.

Wire brushed a lot of the surface rust and gunk off the trailing arms. A good bit of degrease later they looked ok. Finally got a capacitor for my air compressor so was nice to use it rather than my cheap drill for the work. Put some rust convertor on and in them and now just letting them dry. Tommorrow will give them a quick spray to make them look pretty.

Also took to the bad spindle with a grinder to shave it down a bit. Old bearings now just slide on and off making it the perfect tool for setting thing up later.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sun May 15, 2016 12:15 pm

More cleaning up of some old bits today. Cleaned off the old RHS inner bearing to use it for testing the slip fit on the spindle I'm planning on using as a setup tool. Once the race was clean I found this which means my decision to pull them all even though they felt ok was the right call.

Put a first coat of paint on some of the cleaned parts as well.

Am away for work for the next week so yet another week goes by before I can get into it some more.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Mon May 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Have now cleaned up all the bearings to take a look at them and it was all the USA made ones from the RHS that look to be pitted and failing whiel the Japanese ones from the LHS all look good enough to reuse (not that I will). Have Timken bearing sets to replace the lot. Have also ordered a new spindle and one or two other parts from Ecklers. Prices were made better by the 20% discount.

Trailing arms came up nice in a satin black and now the last coats on so it's time for some reassembly. First up the front bushings. For the first arm I used some thinners to remove the paint in where the bushing will sit so that things weren't too tight. Next I lubed up the bushing and hole in the arm and used my makeshift press (e.g. a small bench vise and old wheel bearing outer race that just fits around the bushing) to press each side in seperately.

Went through the same process on the second arm and struck one tiny problem. Even with the bushing halves meeting in the middle, there is about a 1/2mm gap betwene the flange on the outer one and the arm. The arm surface doesn't seem crushed or bent in in any way so it's a little confusing.

Am thinking of just leaving it like that as I can;t see too may other options and once the center pin thing is through and staked using Doc's handy tool I'm borrowing there is not much change of it going anywhere anyway.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Bit more work today on the arms. Ended up just staking the bushings in even through it wasn't flush and it turned out alright though.

Next starting to put the bearings in the carriers. Cleaned out the carrier and smoothed off a few burrs that may have got in the way of the races seating.

Started tapping the bearings in using a hammer and a bit of hardwood I used for getting things going. Then used the old bearing races to tap them in the rest of the way. Old races I shaved down the outer surface on so they would be a slip fit in the carrier using my makeshift bench grinder :)

Once both bearing races were seated I used my old spindle I turned into a setup tool to test fit the bearings, spacer and shims. Did it by feel as not getting the dial gauge I'm borrowing until tomorrow. 0.109 shim needed one side, and think I'll have to shave down the 0.121 shim by 0.003 or so to get the other side right.

sirfixalot

Postby sirfixalot » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Have you tried swapping the crush tube side to side you can often get a few thou difference in the length. I put the outer shells in then place your old linished down ones in behind & give them both a push in the press prior to set up.

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:50 am

Looking real Good Aaron. Should be seeing this car back on the road soon! :o

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Bolted lhs bearing assembly together on my test spindle. First time up with a .121 shim the play comes out at 0.006 which is probably good enough. Might sand the shim down a fraction to get it a bit tighter, then will be ready to clean, pack with grease and assemble.

However as I looked under the car today I realise I forgot to clean up and spray the frame kick up where the front of the arm sits. Looks like some wire brushing and a quick spray are in order tomorrow.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Did the test setup of both sides today. After some sanding of shims both sides are at about 0.004 before being greased. The dial indicator I got is only in mm so some conversion needed to be made along the way.

Also got told a handy tip for working out which carrier is left and right side. Turns out that one of the bolt holes for the strut rod has a flat spot in it and the other is true round. Place them like this on the bench and if the fully round hole is on the right then that's the one for the right hand side. Simples.

Ollie68

Postby Ollie68 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:42 pm

68ragtop wrote:Also got told a handy tip for working out which carrier is left and right side. Turns out that one of the bolt holes for the strut rod has a flat spot in it and the other is true round. Place them like this on the bench and if the fully round hole is on the right then that's the one for the right hand side. Simples.

Take it from someone who has once assembled them the wrong way, the flattened hole definately goes to the rear once they are in the trailing arm (I learnt the hard way :-x :-x :-x ), basically the same as you've stated with a lefty righty thing :o

:D
Ollie

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:19 pm

So had an hour or two to start putting things back together today finally. Started the assembly of the trailing arm components which all fit together nicely and look a hell of a lot nicer than when I took them apart. Double checked I had the correct bearing carrier and arm for the RHS.

Figured out via YouTube how to pack the bearings with some Timken red grease and made a good old mess. Glad I had a bunch of rubber gloves for this bit. All went well until I dropped one giving myself a scare as I caught it just before it hit the ground.

Next start pressing the outer bearing onto the spindle. Was rushing to get this done so I could head inside to watch the All Blacks v Wales game, and this is what happens when half way through pressing the outer bearing onto the spindle you realise you slid the wrong bearing dust shield on first. And yes this was before I realised I should have just put the bearing in the race, tapped in the dust cover and then pressed it all onto the spindle.

Giant pulley puller gets used again to pull off the bearing ready to start again tomorrow. Can reuse the bearing as the puller has big enough jaws that it got under the bearing and pulled on the solid bit on the spindle rather than the loose outer bearing cage.

Next thing will be figuring out if I assemble the parking brake bits before I put the spindle in and press on the inner bearing.

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:37 am

Yes, I would assemble all the park brake parts before installing the spindle.
Much easier that way.

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Started refitting things today. Parking brakes reassembled. Replaced the shoes as old ones were cracked and rivets holding them were all loose. Taped over the new shoes to protect them from stray grease. Outer bearing placed in the race and the seal tapped in and ready to go. Put a coating of grease on the inside of the bearing carrier to help protect it from rusting.

Next bolted spindle to reversed rotor to hold it steady and give a handy platform to work on. Put arm over it and used a bunch of shims and a handy threaded knocker of Docs to pull the spindle through the bearing. Used the same procedure to press the inner bearing on before tapping in the seal on that side too.

Now this deflector really didn't want to fit on. A bit of heat on it and using a bit of pvc downpipe to tap it with and it all came together nicely

After it was all assembled I gave it a spin and found that the flange was grazing a messed up bit of the trailing arm when spinning. Off it came and liberal use of a pry bar and a hammer opend up the clearance again.

Finally clamped up the rotor and applied the 100 foot-pounds of torque and magically the castle nut lined up perfectly with the hole throug hthe spindle.

So finally after 6 months I have one assembeled trailing arm.

The second one was going well until I messed up the bearing seal on the inner side. Now just need to find what the part number was to get another one and it will be time to start thinking about getting them back on the car.

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Whooo Hoooo!
Should be seeing this Red Vert back on the road soon!

Return to “Third Generation C3 (1968-1982) Technical and Performance”