Distributor angle

C3 Specific - Technical and Performance

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

Pratty
General Forum User

Distributor angle

Postby Pratty » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi guys, looking for some help here. I'm in the process of putting a new dizzy in my 350 and run into some confusion. I brought the motor to tdc, zero degree mark and air blowing out no1 spark plug hole. Popped the dizzy cap and the rotor is pointing to no8 cylinder!? Leads are in the correct order and is pointing to the no1 lead but it seems the whole thing is 90degrees out.

Previously i was experiencing running severely rich and bogged acceleration when the engine was cold.

The motor is a crate but running the original dizzy, I'm wondering if the guy that installed it f****d up bad and i should just put the new dizzy in pointing to no1 cyl?

I don't want to do any damage though, so any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Re: Distributor angle

Postby DOC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Not clear on the "Air blowing out" method of determining that your on the compression stroke.
But first I would spin the motor 360 and see where it's pointing now. Can't imagine it would run at all with the timing that far out.
And yes install the new dissy with the rotor pointing at the number 1 spark plug lead. If your 360 out, it won't run, just bang and fart.
If so, pull it turn it 180 and it should fire.

Pratty
General Forum User

Postby Pratty » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks Doc.

Had a finger covering the no1 spark plug hole and as the cyl goes through the compression stroke it pushes finger off the opening.

So the rotor was pointing at the correct lead, but instead of punting towards the front left of the motor (ie cyl1) it was pointing to the rear right (cyl8).

Admittedly I've never done this before, but everything I've read says the it should be pointing at the no 1 cyl. ie.

Instead the rotor is at about the '3' position in the picture.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:20 pm

so your saying it was lined up with the proper lead to the correct cylinder ? just that it was a pointing off in a different direction to the picture . If that is so it will still work but it just needs to be clocked around mainly to get the plug leads the proper length and the attached wiring (to the dizzy itself ) in the right spot ??

does it start ?

Pratty
General Forum User

Postby Pratty » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Yeah Baz, that's correct and yes it runs. I'll put the new dizzy in per spec and adjust new leads as required. Thanks just wanted some confirmation i wasnt missing something

Return to “Third Generation C3 (1968-1982) Technical and Performance”