the work begins / continues

C3 Specific - Technical and Performance

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

the work begins / continues

Postby riverracer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:57 am

as you know the '72 i bought has had the rear panel filled in where the exhaust tips go.
so now i am going to cut it out and place the exhaust tips in place.
before
Image

so from the following photo, can someone please measure off of their '72 the "B" dimension.

Image

i will be following the glassed in location already on the inside of the panel, but just want to make sure the it's correct and has not been altered.

thanks

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:52 am

river, get down underneath, and you might just find where the original cutouts were.... not many go to the trouble of smoothing the undersides or the patchs, so it may just be a case of trasfering the lines to the outside and cutting them out...good luck mate

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:06 pm

yeah i have checked underneath and the original mounting locations are still there
just wanted a dim just to be sure

guess its out with the grinder now... ouch

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:28 pm

riverracer wrote:yeah i have checked underneath and the original mounting locations are still there
just wanted a dim just to be sure

guess its out with the grinder now... ouch
your a braver man than me hahahaha... oh, and rug up... you will be itching for days after working with that stuff....

blackmagic
General Forum User
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Postby blackmagic » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:33 pm

The bolt in panel that fits in the space in some places it sits in recessed seams of the main body. Buy the panel first before getting the grinder out it could turn out messy.
Have a good look underneath and try and find out why they glassed it in and not get the correct bolt in panel when a car is fitted with side pipes. Whats your email address, I have a 72 stripped and can sent some pic's of panel and rear where it bolts in, or call 0412910787.

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:03 pm

i'm only going to cut out the 2 rectangles for the chrome surrounds.
i'm not worried about the other seams in the rear panel.
didnt get around to cutting it this weekend in the end.
will mark it all up for next weekend when the weather is hopefully better.

blackmagic
General Forum User
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Postby blackmagic » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:26 pm

The chrome surrounds need to be secured by 3 x screws, if you just cut out a hole you will not have any where to screw to.

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 pm

the original mounting glass is still there
somebody just filled in the holes
so i just have to cut and trim to the edges
just wanted to make sure that nothing else was altered

Image

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:28 pm

just pull pushed the car out the shed, pulled on the hand brake, the car kept rolling and the plastic handle shattered in my hand.
worst thing is i just placed orders over the weekend with zip and willcox for some other parts.

anybody sell these local?

also with zip, which postage do you use express or expedited?

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:40 pm

riverracer wrote:just pull pushed the car out the shed, pulled on the hand brake, the car kept rolling and the plastic handle shattered in my hand.
worst thing is i just placed orders over the weekend with zip and willcox for some other parts.

anybody sell these local?

also with zip, which postage do you use express or expedited?
welcome to C3 ownership... a handbrake that works in a shark? i would like to see that :-x :-x :-x

User avatar
CraigH
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Canberra
Contact:

Postby CraigH » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:28 pm

nifty wrote:
riverracer wrote:just pull pushed the car out the shed, pulled on the hand brake, the car kept rolling and the plastic handle shattered in my hand.
worst thing is i just placed orders over the weekend with zip and willcox for some other parts.

anybody sell these local?

also with zip, which postage do you use express or expedited?
welcome to C3 ownership... a handbrake that works in a shark? i would like to see that :-x :-x :-x


For international i think there is just one method Zip use to ship. I have never changed anything and it turns up fairly fast.

Is it just the plastic part that crumbled.....does the brake actually work ok.

To get passed ACT rego you need to pass the handbrake test and I know mine was adjusted up heaps before I got it to pass the test ok - which it did then i backed it off as it was dragging heaps.

Since then I have done the rear brakes and rotors and cleaned, adjusted etc the handbrake. After adjusting the cables etc it seems to work fine. Holds the car well and you dont need to yank the handle up too far and no drag.

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:28 pm

craig, it was just the plastic hand grip on the lever from what i can see.
the brake did nothing.
have tomorrow off (going pub for melb cup) so mite jack it up in morn, remove a wheel and have a look.
have read many horror stories on here and other forums, and was dreading this would be a problem.

still waiting for my aim and workshop manuals from ecklers, 3 weeks and counting

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:07 pm

parking brake update
looks like the cable has seized in the short piece of reinforced outer cable
it's free between the two sides and it's free from the disk to the mounting point
just seems to be in the outer cable
have squirted some lubricant in the ends to see if i can get it to move
still waiting for my manuals so i know how to remove it properly

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm

riverracer wrote:parking brake update
looks like the cable has seized in the short piece of reinforced outer cable
it's free between the two sides and it's free from the disk to the mounting point
just seems to be in the outer cable
have squirted some lubricant in the ends to see if i can get it to move
still waiting for my manuals so i know how to remove it properly
try and get hold of a spray tin of YIELD... its expensive, but hell it works...

User avatar
australi
* Founding Administrator
Posts: 16524
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:32 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Contact:

Postby australi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:08 am

Never heard of that one Nev :D

I find Inox works a treat (Aussie made too) :o

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 pm

australi wrote:Never heard of that one Nev :D

I find Inox works a treat (Aussie made too) :o
yield is THE stuff imho...its around 50 bucks a can, and desolves rust just about instdantly..we have swung off and hit spanners with 4lb hammers trying to undo things... bit of yiled, a minute or so, and they normally come undone...if they dont its out with the oxy because NOTHING will get them undone.

User avatar
australi
* Founding Administrator
Posts: 16524
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:32 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Contact:

Postby australi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:38 pm

$50 a can!! :shock: WOW - It's gotta be good! :mad:

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:38 pm

i'll let you at the weekend when i try it.
we dont have it at work, but was talking to one of our maintenance fitters, and he said he had a can at home.
so he's going to bring it in for me, cost - a ride in the vette, cheap me thinks if it works :)
have also got a bottle of penatrine on stand by, as well as wd40, crc etc.

User avatar
TroppoVette
*Gold Class Member #246
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Townsville Australia

Postby TroppoVette » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 pm

riverracer wrote:i'll let you at the weekend when i try it.
we dont have it at work, but was talking to one of our maintenance fitters, and he said he had a can at home.
so he's going to bring it in for me, cost - a ride in the vette, cheap me thinks if it works :)
have also got a bottle of penatrine on stand by, as well as wd40, crc etc.

User avatar
TroppoVette
*Gold Class Member #246
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Townsville Australia

Postby TroppoVette » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:56 pm

riverracer wrote:i'll let you at the weekend when i try it.
we dont have it at work, but was talking to one of our maintenance fitters, and he said he had a can at home.
so he's going to bring it in for me, cost - a ride in the vette, cheap me thinks if it works :)
have also got a bottle of penatrine on stand by, as well as wd40, crc etc.

Wonder what happens if you make a cocktail of all those things and spray it on! :shock:

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:34 pm

here's the new cutouts happening

marked carefully on both sides on contact sheet
Image

cutout with the jigsaw to within 5mm of line
Image

then air grinder to size
Image

trial fitting
Image

back on the wheels
Image

not completely happy with the left hand side, got a slight slant still, needs a bit of tweaking when i bolt them later
either the surrounds are out or the panels are not 100% the same both sides

you can see how far out the mufflers are, the tips dont line up.
these mufflers are rubbing on the body and are up against the spare tyre carrier.
will need offset outlet pipes to allow the tips to fit in the cutouts.
what brand/type of mufflers do other people use?

User avatar
CraigH
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Canberra
Contact:

Postby CraigH » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:02 pm

Great effort.

Looks much better with the cutouts for the exhaust.

It does look like the rear exhausts, mufflers etc will need a bit of work too.

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:54 pm

TroppoVette wrote:
riverracer wrote:i'll let you at the weekend when i try it.
we dont have it at work, but was talking to one of our maintenance fitters, and he said he had a can at home.
so he's going to bring it in for me, cost - a ride in the vette, cheap me thinks if it works :)
have also got a bottle of penatrine on stand by, as well as wd40, crc etc.

Wonder what happens if you make a cocktail of all those things and spray it on! :shock:
KA - BOOM? hhahahaha naw.. but the yield IS flamable... also its a fantasitc degreaser... albeit an expensive on.. hell at work we dont pay for it, so we use it a lot hahahahaaha

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:11 pm

looking good mate..your a brave man to start cutting a cherry body, but nice job..
when you fit the tips, you should be able to get any muffler shop worth their salt to find some offest mufflers to line up with the tips... it may need a bit of a tweek here and there and maybe even a tilt to get them mufflers in the correct spot, but they should be able to get them in without rubbing...


http://www.corvetteimages.com/index.cfm ... e&id=70550

User avatar
YLLA 88
*Gold Class Member #444
Posts: 1193
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: WOLLONGONG, N.S.W. Australia

Postby YLLA 88 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Hey Riverracer, Looks heaps better already with those cut outs :C :C :C :C :C once your happy with them I'd be taking it round to the local muffler specialist and getting him to sort those mufflers out :) :) :)

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:13 pm

craig, niffty, ylla,

thanks for your words of encouragement on the cutouts :D
it was very nerve wracking doing them i'll tell ya
need to make a couple of spacers at work and bolt them in during the week
and then get a couple of better suited mufflers which fit and line up better

slow progress, but hope to be ready for rego later this month
need new brake hoses still and need to fix the horn, horn works but just not when you push the button :x-
how do you get the horn pad off? does it just pull off?
didnt want to force it until i get my workshop books.
:D

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:45 pm

riverracer wrote:craig, niffty, ylla,

thanks for your words of encouragement on the cutouts :D
it was very nerve wracking doing them i'll tell ya
need to make a couple of spacers at work and bolt them in during the week
and then get a couple of better suited mufflers which fit and line up better

slow progress, but hope to be ready for rego later this month
need new brake hoses still and need to fix the horn, horn works but just not when you push the button :x-
how do you get the horn pad off? does it just pull off?
didnt want to force it until i get my workshop books.
:D
im usre a few have had the horn button off.. bazza comes to mind..he always playing around with the 2 1/2 vette hs owns hahahahaha...yep he actually has a 37 corvette.... its half a 74

User avatar
YLLA 88
*Gold Class Member #444
Posts: 1193
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: WOLLONGONG, N.S.W. Australia

Postby YLLA 88 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:04 am

riverracer wrote:craig, niffty, ylla,


it was very nerve wracking doing them i'll tell ya

:D


I once bought a set of rod holders to fit to the bow of my new boat.... set for what seemed like hours in the shed with my electric drill in my hand fitted with a hole saw and the 2" diameter rod holders in the other....... just couldn't bring myself to drilling holes in the new boat.... you know I still have those rod holders somewhere, just not fitted to the boat :-o :-o :-o :-o

User avatar
6t8vette
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Baldivis Western Australia

Postby 6t8vette » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:51 am

riverracer wrote:craig, niffty, ylla,

thanks for your words of encouragement on the cutouts :D
it was very nerve wracking doing them i'll tell ya
need to make a couple of spacers at work and bolt them in during the week
and then get a couple of better suited mufflers which fit and line up better

slow progress, but hope to be ready for rego later this month
need new brake hoses still and need to fix the horn, horn works but just not when you push the button :x-
how do you get the horn pad off? does it just pull off?
didnt want to force it until i get my workshop books.
:D

HI Riverracer
I have just been working on my horn :-) and yes it just pulls off.
I bought all new parts for mine and it still isn't working correctly, i even had to put some of the old stuff back. But im not giving up yet ill get that bastard to work properly. :)

User avatar
riverracer
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: adelaide, south oz

Postby riverracer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:37 pm

6t8vette wrote:I have just been working on my horn :-) and yes it just pulls off.
I bought all new parts for mine and it still isn't working correctly, i even had to put some of the old stuff back. But im not giving up yet ill get that bastard to work properly. :)

keep us informed on what u find and how you make your horn better!
thats a job for a nite later in the week at the moment

ylla,
as for cutting the body, it was a case of had too if i wanted things back to normal!
havent removed any more fibreglass from the body, just cut out the fill/bog that was used to fill in the panel,
but still scary no less.


Return to “Third Generation C3 (1968-1982) Technical and Performance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests