Petrol fumes when full

C1 Specific - Technical and Performance

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

thirstyvette

Petrol fumes when full

Postby thirstyvette » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:18 pm

I have heard this from another 1960 corvette owner and it prompted me to write a post.
If I fill up my 1961 Vette to the top, I can smell fuel fumes for quite a while while driving.
If I fill it 3/4 or 1/2, no probs.
After the first time I actually pulled over and checked the carbies and fuel line.The second time it happend was this weekend and I clicked it is only when I fill it to the top.
The filling cap is of course on the panel right next to drivers side on the left. Fuel will be moving back and forth in the tank.
I notice fuel is sometimes at the bottom of the fuek tank filling point when I go to fill up, like its split but the cap is tight.
The fuel caps are a breathing set up, but why am I getting such fumes when full?
Why is it leaking out as when I check the fuel cap its tight?
Lastly, there is a small rubber open hose above the fuel cap. I suspect its a breather, but whats it for exactly?
Would the fuel cap need replacing or do I need to lift the soft top and get access to the fuel tank and make some mods?

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Are there any drips?
If so, my money would be on the gasket atop the fuel tank where the filler neck bolts on.

Buggles

Postby Buggles » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi,
Yes the rubber tube in the filler area is a breather. Fuel fumes are a common problem with C1s, I read on another forum how to avoid it, one suggestion was not to fill the tank completely, another was to seal the holes in the bottom of the tank area, potentially causing an explosive environment.

My '56 does it as well with a non vented tank and cap.
Cheers,
Craig

Return to “First Generation C1 (1953-1962) Technical and Performance”