caulk/glue ?my guard broke off

CORVETTE SPECIFIC - Applicable to all or most models

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

big dan

caulk/glue ?my guard broke off

Postby big dan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 pm

about 6 months ago i started the body work to repaint my 77..using a mates workshop he said 'your bushes look shot'..so off came the body..lifted with a forklift but not supported well..the left guard has broken away from the inner guard part thats still attached to the cab frame..whats a good way to re caulk or re glue this back together..it came away clean with no fibreglass cracking now the frame is finished i,m about to put the body on it tomorrow but wont paint untill i fix this :evil:

TroppoVette
*Gold Class Member #246

Postby TroppoVette » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I bet Sikaflex would have a product. 11FC would be my guess. That would do it for sure!

YLLA 88
*Gold Class Member #444

Re: caulk/glue ?my guard broke off

Postby YLLA 88 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:16 pm

big dan wrote:about 6 months ago i started the body work to repaint my 77..using a mates workshop he said 'your bushes look shot'..so off came the body..lifted with a forklift but not supported well..:evil:

Reckon No more gap's might be the go for the folk lift tyne's holes :-x

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Sikaflex will glue a turd to a wet wall!
However this would not be correct.
Are you looking for a "Correct" repair?
Rebonding the seam correctly is what I would look into.
Sikaflex will do the job, I have no doubt. However, This is not how the factory did it.
The Correct resins and bonding strips are avalible through the Corvette Aftermarket.
One could also contact a local Fibreglass repair expert.

big dan

Re: caulk/glue ?my guard broke off

Postby big dan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:33 pm

YLLA 88 wrote:
big dan wrote:about 6 months ago i started the body work to repaint my 77..using a mates workshop he said 'your bushes look shot'..so off came the body..lifted with a forklift but not supported well..:evil:

Reckon No more gap's might be the go for the folk lift tyne's holes :-x

actually we were joking and sugesting paper mache..but i was affraid that if i take it to a car show in the future..they might say NO..it will have to be judged in the mitsubishi section

big dan

Postby big dan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:35 pm

thanks..if sikaflex will hold it on i,ll use it

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:32 am

...I'd get it repaired properly as Doc said, but sika WILL hold anything together if looks don't matter (it's ugly sticky sh*t!)

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:17 pm

australi wrote:...I'd get it repaired properly as Doc said, but sika WILL hold anything together if looks don't matter (it's ugly sticky sh*t!)

If sikaflex was available when these cars were new they would most determinately have used it ,in fact i would suggest IF sifaflex had been used then it would not have split at the join and the car would still be in one piece so to speak

Automotive adhesives have improved so much in the last 25 years the same as the rest of the automotive industry

big dan

Postby big dan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:14 pm

australi wrote:...I'd get it repaired properly as Doc said, but sika WILL hold anything together if looks don't matter (it's ugly sticky sh*t!)

lol..ugly..all the joints and even the frame welds were poor grade..like they were going to put this car together to make the quota ..3 minutes before knock off time..i,m thinking i,ll go over the other joints with this just to make sure..body back on the frame today...progress fw)

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Will the correct grade of Sikaflex hold?
Yup, And yes they definitely use adhesives very much the same in the auto factories today.
And who's gonna see your inner fender bond? If you did it right with black Sikaflex, No one will notice.
Me, I'd still Glass it. Call me old School.

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:04 pm

DOC ,i have seen just how easy it is to separate panels on a c3 .......they were stuck together with the best adhesive of the day (sort of a strong black chewing gum that goes hard )NOT fibreglass ....they pull apart so easily black sikaflex holds many cars together now ,its all about whats better imo not originality ....only class my car will ever be judged at is
Not Correctly Restored Society

to each their own :)

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 pm

I here ya Screaming Steve.
I do, But I've also been a Mechanic for a Looooonnnng time now.
Cars that were "Fixed" up 15 and 20 years ago, With top flight aftermarket goods in their day. Cannot be repaired without complete replacement of the given system. Because that can't be un-done, Or replacement parts are no longer avalible.
The car that is put back at least fairly closely to standard, Will be repairable for many, many years to come.
I've had my Vette for many years, It's still fun to drive.
And yes it's close to stock. Some things I did change, I kept the the "Theme" of "Period correct".
My grand kids will be able to get parts for, and keep this car on the road many years after I'm gone.

TroppoVette
*Gold Class Member #246

Postby TroppoVette » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 pm

DOC wrote: My grand kids will be able to get parts for, and keep this car on the road many years after I'm gone.

So , what . let me get this right....you're not "taking it with you"? :-x :-x
Im taking mine or I'm not going! :-)
If ya want more inches, ya gotta stroke it!

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Best of Luck with that Mate! :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 am

:-x

Return to “General CORVETTE Technical and Performance”