paint wont dry GRRR

CORVETTE SPECIFIC - Applicable to all or most models

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

big dan

paint wont dry GRRR

Postby big dan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:35 pm

late last year i went to hendon paint supplys and bought acrylic metallic blue..they recomended 2 pack white primer to use under it...mainly coz its all they had in stock but they said it will be fine..after months of prep..prime..fix pinholes..prime..find more faults..prime..rub..i got the acrylic on it yesterday..but thismorning it was 99.9%dry..after fixing 1 small chip with bog.i was rubbing it with completely worn out 1500 wet n dry and it was taking the paint with it..it looks like the acrylic isn't compatible at all with the 2 pack..is there any solution to this without stripping the whole paint off ??

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:55 pm

have a chat with silver383 when he comes in.. hes the paint guru

riverracer
*Senior Forum User

Postby riverracer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:19 pm

welcome to my world of nightmares with painting :evil:
Speed has never killed anyone,
Suddenly becoming stationary that's what gets you.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 am

I'd LEAVE IT SIT until Dave 'Silver383' can answer; I'll go point him to this post for you...

big dan

Postby big dan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 pm

thanks australi..i checked it again thismorning..still tacky after 2 days...then sprayed a bit on the nose where it was coming off but with no thinners mixed into it..it went on really nice and started drying quick as it should

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:57 am

I sent Dave an email; was hoping he'd have chimed in here by now...

My worry is that you may have used too much thinner and it didn't have time to flash off - hope it doesn't cause too much orange peel.

Dave will know.

big dan

Postby big dan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm

now 3 days..even the test patch i did yesterday with no thinners was still leaving a print..my guess is its a bad batch of paint

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:14 pm

I don't think so; I think the wrong ratio of paint to thinners - I'll try to get Dave here again to help...

silver383
*Gold Class Member #383

Postby silver383 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:24 pm

STOP Do not put acrylic paint over 2pack primer. if you have get thinners soaked rags and wipe it off, if it is a decent 2 pack primer it want hurt it.

silver383
*Gold Class Member #383

Postby silver383 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:31 pm

what brand primer is on now.
2 pack primer should not pin hole unless
1 pin holes where there in the fibreglass before etch priming and applying 2 pack primer
2 primer/filler was put on to wet.
ask Steve [ forum owner] for my phone number if you need help
Cheers Dave

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:03 am

:D Dave :o

Steve is ME Dan, if I can help with Dave's number...

silver383
*Gold Class Member #383

Postby silver383 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:20 pm

It sounds like the paint was either not thinned down enough or it has been but on to wet. The paint has probably skinned of on top but still wet underneath , it should eventually dry out. Is it a solid or metallic ? If it is metallic check that you have good adhesion between the primer and paint before clearing.

big dan

Postby big dan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:57 pm

:shock: hmmm where do i start...when i first bought the paint from paint supplys..its factory unused paint..just a blank can with a dot on the top to show the colour and a paint supplys shop sticker..they told me it was acrylic and needed a clear coat on top..jeff told me 4 litres isnt enough..next visit i got another 4 litre can and asked for appropriate primer..they sold me 2 pack white..not sure the brand as the can has been chucked..but that was before christmas..it set well..when i informed paint supplys it wasnt drying or sticking..the guy told me i used too fine wet n dry to get a good key...2000 grit..but anything more coarse was leaving scratches..he put me through to martin who insisted 2 pack was the ONLY primer suitable for fibreglass and the metallic acrylic on top..next week jeff is taking a roof panel back down with the remaining paint for them to check..jeff also did a test spray on a piece of tin with red acrylic he had..it dried fast..i then sprayed the blue acrylic over top with no thinners..its the same tackiness as the car now..thinners or no thinners..on 2 pack or bare tin..its just staying tacky..tho its about 99.95% dry..running fingers across it they wanna grab rather than slide..it was metallic botticelli blue..they sold 10,000 litres apparently and i,m the only 1 with problems..cheers guys

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Dan, The Standard answer in the industry, "Your the only one with problems".
Although there are Thousands with the same trouble!
Unknown paint, unknown primer? wrong place to save money in my opinion.
Clean it all off, Get the good stuff, Start over.
I know Dave knows much more than I.
So if he has better advice, Good, listen to him.
But I'd be totally pissed off , and sanding it all back.

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:50 pm

8ltrs? is the guy sure????? hell when thats thinned down it would prob make 20ltrs at least.. shouldnt say it but they might have ripped you off a bit with paint thats not needed.. unless they thought a vette is a kenworth

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:06 am

Are u using a hardener in the 2pak primer? You should be... im also wondering if u have too,as they say use 2pak primer... they didnt do that on the original cars in the old days... 2pak wasnt around then... my paint guy who im standing next too... said the same thing as dave... sadly you gotta rip it all off and start again... and go to a decent paint supplier...(try the body shop on port road or s.a. colour who are a bit dearer but they are technical fellas who know their stuff)..who will sell you the right stuff thats compatable with primer and top coat AND the compatible clearcoat.... hope it works out ok buddy.. but sadly i reckon a big lesson learned... get rubbing

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:12 am

He used to buy from the place you bought from... yeah he doesnt go there anymore.... theres a reason for that he says

big dan

Postby big dan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 am

agree with u nifty..first thoughts were rub it off after the next day..but thought..no it should be dry surely after 2nd day..i used hardener in the 2 pack..stinks like araldite

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:56 am

I wonder how spraying a light coat of hardener would go.
I'm stubborn and would WAIT for it to dry (may take a month).

big dan

Postby big dan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 pm

i asked the guy at paint supplys if i mixed a hardener into the paint..would it help..he said NO..acrylic sprays on and drys in 20 minutes..its a shame coz it came up quite nice..like 1 shade away from le mans blue..the look i was going for..jeff recomended 2000..he did his sons 57 buick at the same time..that car came up a million dollars..even passed regency first time without the guy testing wiper,washers etc.slight mods..they said the car was that good..dont ever drive it..just show it.i have pics but dont know how to upload them

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:03 pm

you need to use an outside photo thingy to be able to show them.. most use photobucket... theres a how to in the forum index on how to do it.. its free.. just need to download photobucket

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 pm

Dan;

Many of us have found http://www.photobucket.com/ to be a good, easy to use free website that will host your photographs.

To 'post' a picture of your car etc; first register with photo bucket, then you simply browse your hard drive files, select the picture you want, and click SUBMIT.

Images larger than 512 KB are automatically resized

The photo will then be on display in your 'album' on your own photo bucket site. To LINK the photo/s INTO the forum, simply highlight the BOTTOM of the three listings on photo bucket - The line that starts and finishes with [IMG] and PASTE that long file name between those IMG brackets i.e., http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/ ... eVette.jpg

INTO the post where you want your picture.

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 pm

watched my paint guy jack do a repair on a commo for a local dealer today.. 4 coats of silver colour... all in 2 pak.. dry in no time... 4 coats of clear and a coat of blender... touch dry in half an hr.. quick rub with 1500 in morning and a polish with the machine.. shes good to go for sale

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 am

Sorry Dan; I've edited my post above; some people DO go to #2000 grit.

Return to “General CORVETTE Technical and Performance”