Battery Life

NOT CORVETTE specific

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

australi
* Founding Administrator

Battery Life

Postby australi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm

...Do you go pre-emptive , or not?

Just been doing some random mechanical tasks, like changing mower oil, and decided as I've been meaning to, to use my brilliant CTEK Intelligent charger to recondition the battery in the 350Z...Thoughtfully, the previous owner or mechanic, wrote the date on it: 5 years old a few days ago! (That's not a bad innings for a modern day battery). Its an RACQ one, which usually means it's made by CENTURY - Australian made & owned. I've bought LOTS of batteries for cars and motorbikes over the years (I mean that literally; LOTS!!).

I DID favour USA made CAT (makers of Caterpillar machinery) batteries until recently, which you can buy at their sales office locally (Archerfield if you're in Brisbane) - usually only around AU$120 or so, for a really beefy Silver plated one, which mostly I've needed for the few V8's I had. Still need big CCA's for the 6's I own.

My point is, knowing how things go; expect a post from me in the not too distant future, about how the battery died when I was out somewhere! Do I replace it NOW, or see how long it goes? Think I'll definitely go CENTURY next time.

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Re: Battery Life

Postby DOC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Lovely CTEX chargers. in the last say 10 days, I know of at least 3 Harley Batteries that died well before there time as they were put on CTEX Chargers.
No replacement for bring a battery down and then charging. over charging a Battery that has not been drawn down will and DOES shorten it's life!
If your Battery isn't flat, keep it OFF the charger. I don't give a Rats ass what they claim at CTEX. Seen it to many times!

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Optimal Red Top in my vette is 9 years old. Car generally only gets run a few times a month if that. Last year it sat for 6 months between runs. Never been on a charger and still cranks as hard as the day I got the car.

StephenSLR

Postby StephenSLR » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:32 pm

australi wrote:Do I replace it NOW, or see how long it goes?

I say see how long it goes, they can be hit or miss, I've had one last over 10 years and another last me only 3 years both were similar style around the same price range and CCA.

68ragtop wrote:Optima Red Top in my vette is 9 years old.

I've heard good things about the Optima batteries but damn they're expensive.

I went to ebay and ordered a Platinum NS50PLX for $110. With 625 CCA it does the job beautifully, I can leave the car for months at a time and it cranks over without issue. Maintenance free too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NS50PLX-BATTERY-12V-/252072228659?hash=item3ab0acf733:m:mYAhsxzSf-E9r0iToLPgmNA

I believe the difference between the NS50PLX & NS50PX is the L in NS50PLX means the negative terminal is on the LHS, good if you have a US car or a short negative lead that can't reach the other terminal.

s

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 pm

NINE YEARS!?? :shock:

...Sounds like they ARE worth the money if that's the norm for them, as Stephen says tho, they're BLOODY EXPENSIVE!!

"I don't give a Rats ass what they claim at CTEX. Seen it to many times!"
Well that's a shocking thing to hear...Ya THINK you're doing the right thing, but perhaps not so... :?
Thanks Doc.

Might swing by my autoelec mates place and get him to load test it oneday (soon) :)

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Just like the Battery in your mobile phone or tablet , you need to cycle it. it should run down and then recharge for maximum life.
overcharging and or maintaining a full charge at all times is NOT the way to get life from your battery.
There is NO charger on my Sports Car or Motorcycle. And I can report better than average battery life.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:56 am

So are you in favour of fast charging or trickle? (from dead flat)

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 am

Slow Charge. Most Battery's have a recommended charge rate right on them.

StephenSLR

Postby StephenSLR » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:09 pm

DOC wrote:Just like the Battery in your mobile phone or tablet , you need to cycle it.

That was the case with the old NiCad batteries, you had to let them drain flat to get the most out of a recharge.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/10/s ... explained/

To get the most out of a lithium-ion battery, you should try to keep it north of 50 per cent as much as possible. Going from all the way full to all the way empty won't help at all; it'll do a little damage and it's even worse if do a full drain on a regular basis. It will shorten its lifespan. Your battery will behave the best if you take it off the charge before it hits 100 per cent

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/07/how- ... right-way/

s

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Really concerned about having used my CTEK now...Bought it on the recommendation of a great Canadian show I used to watch.

I DID find prior to that charger, I'd go thru harley batteries A LOT, even when I used it's (less smart) predecessor - put that down mostly to lack of use tho...

* Had the small solar panel on roof trickling it once; seemed to last ok.

StephenSLR

Postby StephenSLR » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:38 pm

australi wrote:Bought it on the recommendation of a great Canadian show I used to watch.

Dream Car Garage?

That's a great show!

s

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 am

Yeah, THAT'S IT!

They swore by them!

StephenSLR

Postby StephenSLR » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:38 am

australi wrote:They swore by them!

You mean they $wore by them. They were obviously paid to feature them so much but being a reputable show, you'd think they'd research them a bit more for problems, unless they needed the sponsorship. I've never used them so can't speak for them, they may only be good for a certain style of battery, to be used sporadically or the buyers bought the wrong charger for their battery. The battery in your car is constantly being recharged by the alternator so if their chargers ruin batteries something's not right.

s

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:05 pm

First of all; you've entriely lost me by your attempt(?) at correcting my spellink :shock: :)

Beats me; I THINK what Doc's saying is that trickle charging is not good for batteries, because that's what they do! :?

StephenSLR

Postby StephenSLR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 pm

australi wrote:First of all; you've entriely lost me by your attempt(?) at correcting my spellink :shock: :)

I replaced the S with a dollar sign, the font here isn't that good so you may not have picked that up, it doesn't look much different to an S. I was meaning to say they're paid to swear by them.

There shouldn't be an issue with trickle charging, it's what your car does but not 24/7 so the CTeks should have something like a thermostat in their programming which switches the charge off at an upper limit near 100% capacity and stays off till the charge drains down to a lower limit, rather than constantly trickling up near 100%.

s

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Agreed, They were PAID to Swear by them.
No I have not spend days and weeks testing The CTEX Charger.
just simply stated that I have had several customers in a very short period of time have dead, (Killed) Battery's
that have been over charged on CTEX chargers.
If it isn't flat, DON'T Charge it!

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 am

ok.
They just promote maintaining a battery at float level as being a good thing. I used to keep the vette/s on it when leaving them for a long time (RARE, I know!) LOL

It's a given that any products on TV are a paid ad.

Return to “General Technical and Performance”