42 Volt systems???

NOT CORVETTE specific

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

australi
* Founding Administrator

42 Volt systems???

Postby australi » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:05 am

Just read the RACQ magazine; someone was referring to the ‘impending 42 volt (YES; FORTY-TWO VOLT) systems’…Obviously a continuum from a previous discussion; Does anyone know more about this? It’s the first I’VE heard about car manufacturers intending to go to 42 Volts! :<>

steelblue
Gold Class Member #450

Postby steelblue » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:07 pm

Maybe so they can charge more $$$ for the batterys. :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
75,steelblue coupe-91,pologreen metalic vert.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:45 pm

steelblue wrote:Maybe so they can charge more $$$ for the batterys. :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

Likely. One can't even divide 12 into 42 to come up with a plan of say 2 ancillary batteries (like a boat) so damned if I know! Took them many years to go from 6V to 12V…Maybe it’s a new road to help power the 10 zillion watt Amps in the ‘doof-doof’ cars?!
:<>

God
*Gold Class Member #300

42 volts

Postby God » Wed May 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Modern cars draw a heap of power for all the electric stuff on board. Power windows, airconditioning, engine management, electronic fuel injection, high energy ignition, powerful stereos, etc. To make the electrics reliable, you have 2 options. Thicker wiring to handle the higher amps, or higher voltage giving you lower amp usage, and hence no need for thicker wiring. V=IR.

I haven't heard anything about 42 volts, but it makes sense to go to 24 volts or something in modern cars because their power consumption is way higher than old cars. That's why a lot of trucks are 24 volt, because the power usage is high at times and thicker wiring makes the vehicle heavier.

Return to “General Technical and Performance”