Oils

NOT CORVETTE specific

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

Which brand of ENGINE OIL do you prefer?

CASTROL
13%
GULF WESTERN
No votes
MOBIL ONE
25%
MOTUL
No votes
PENRITE
No votes
PENNZOIL
50%
ROYAL PURPLE
No votes
SHELL
No votes
VALVOLINE
6%
OTHER - PLEASE SPECIFY
6%

Total votes: 16

australi
* Founding Administrator

Oils

Postby australi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:08 am

'God' is correct; there was an oil poll here so we'd better reconstruct it now!

Please specify the version and viscosity of your brand if known.

Myself; In the Corvette I've used mobile one and Motul; The Mobil one was the 5W-50 'SuperSyn' (@$69 plus I needed almost an extra litre @about $20, so add an oil filter and it was well over AU$100 for the oil change!) I found made the car run hotter than normal BUT; when I dropped the oil during my injector/inlet rebuild, I found that even tho I'd only done probably 4-500kms on it, it was BLACK! Which indicates that synthetic oils cleaning abilities are very true.

Motul I found seemed to protect best from start-up, as in only a split second of valve tapping.

I'm running valvoline at the moment as a sort of flush but will be dropping it in about another 100kms and using Pennzoil 'racing' full synthetic, as comes highly recommended by 'outlaw'.

In my Harley, I've only ever run Harley-Davidson oil, but last week changed all oils to their new 'Screamin Eagle' 20W50 'SYN3' full synthetic oil.

Have used the Australian made Gulf-Western in the other half's car and seemed good; engine ran quiet etc.

In MY former Honda bike (750 Bol'd'or) I ALWAYS changed the oil at the most, every 3000kms, but usually at 1500kms; this was probably excessive I know; but when I rebuilt it, it was found that there was NEGLIGABLE bore wear! Not even a hone was called for - so that speaks VOLUMES for regular oil (and filter) changes with QUALITY oil. I ALWAYS change the oil filter with the oil also - again, maybe excessive but that's what I've always done.

I will never again use castrol engine oil, since discovering on good authority, that the 'normal' at least range of engine oil is RECYCLED! Maybe that’s good for the environment but who cares, as I want PREMIUM oil in everything I run, not stuff that's been used in hundreds of engines before me!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Leaves me only with yet again the old and very true adage; "you get what you pay for"

God
*Gold Class Member #300

Oils aint oils Sol

Postby God » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:39 am

OK people .... I think this was a topic of discussion before, but what is your choice of oils and why? I use full synthetic Mobil oils as I have had only good results from it's use. It all started when my old Honda motorbike was using 500mls of oil for every 2 or 3 tanks of fuel. I was using a cheaper oil and wasn't a happy camper. Then one day, in the middle of Brisbane, on an extremely hot day, when my poor old Boldor was overheating, I stopped at a MOBIL petrol station and asked for some 4 stroke motorbike oil (normal car oil gives you problems with wet clutches) and was told that all they had was full synthetic. Not knowing that you aren't supposed to mix synthetics with non-synthetics, I put about 250mls into my bike to top it up. Within 5 kms of the petrol station, my bike was running a lot cooler than it ever had since I bought it(it's air/oil cooled) and was also running much smoother and quieter. From then on, synthetics were my oil of choice. The other thing I have used is Slick 50 products which I've gotten amazing results from. So ...... tell us your story.

Oh yeah ... I almost forgot.... the bike stopped using oil after that, and when I eventually stripped it down for other repairs, the motor was very clean inside. I have used a lot of different oils over the years, not all of course, but the only lubricant products I've used so far which stand up to their claims is Mobil full synthetic oils and Slick50 additives. I would recommend both for any engine that doesn't have roller bearings in it. Apparently roller bearings have a problem if lubricated too well ...they skid and get flat spots.... or something like that.

Case_94

Re: Oils

Postby Case_94 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:23 pm

australi wrote:..... The Mobil one was the 5W-50 'SuperSyn' (@$69 plus I needed almost an extra litre @about $20, so add an oil filter and it was well over AU$100 for the oil change!) I found made the car run hotter than normal BUT; when I dropped the oil during my injector/inlet rebuild......

Your Corvette craves 5W-30, 5W-50 is too thick mate. Where on earth did you buy your oil filter to cost you more than $10??? :shock: (i get mine for $6.20 for an ACdelco, and im sure youll know where :D )

Panther
*Gold Class Member #460

Postby Panther » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:18 pm

used mobile 1 in my vettes for years thats what they came from the factory with, and $6:50 for a AC delco filter, wow you should be telling us all where they are, costs me $13 to put one on the shelf for $15

Statesman 5L didnt like Mobile 1 so much, in it i use Penzoil GT Racing as I did with my 73
Kim,

dreams are free

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:21 pm

Panther wrote:used mobile 1 in my vettes for years thats what they came from the factory with, and $6:50 for a AC delco filter, wow you should be telling us all where they are, costs me $13 to put one on the shelf for $15

Statesman 5L didnt like Mobile 1 so much, in it i use Penzoil GT Racing as I did with my 73

Thats $6.20 mate :D

stingray
*Gold Class Member #177

Postby stingray » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:52 pm

Penzoil GT Racing

Panther
*Gold Class Member #460

Postby Panther » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:04 pm

sorry $6:20, glasses back on, thanks for the rest of the info to go with it
Kim,

dreams are free

australi
* Founding Administrator

Re: Oils

Postby australi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:04 pm

Case_94 wrote:Your Corvette craves 5W-30, 5W-50 is too thick mate. Where on earth did you buy your oil filter to cost you more than $10??? :shock: (i get mine for $6.20 for an ACdelco, and im sure youll know where :D )

I didnt find that it was too THICK, rather, that 5 weight was too THIN :!:
I run 20w50 or 15W40 with all other brands I use in it without any drama -I think the '5' rating was what made it run too hot.

Yeah, the filter at the TIME was a huge ripoff; Repco AND supercheap wanted something like $23 for a ryco!! BOTH said last year something along the lines of "They're not a common filter which is why they're so expensive" - BULLCR*P! - The Z40 filter I use suits (& I quote from the box 'cause I bought a few as stockpile once I found them late last year at Supercheap for about $7 each):

'Chevrolet: Chevy II 4 cyl (62-70)
C20, C30, K20-(6-292 C.I.) (75-81)
C50, C60 (6292 C.I. or V8-350) (76-81)
Holden Suburban 1500 Petrol K8 5.7L - Some (2/98-)

Will be using Pennzoil Racing full synthetic from now on.

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Panther wrote:sorry $6:20, glasses back on, thanks for the rest of the info to go with it

Again, im not allowed to mension the name of the place, due to forum rules.
australi wrote:I didnt find that it was too THICK, rather, that 5 weight was too THIN :!:
I run 20w50 or 15W40 with all other brands I use in it without any drama -I think the '5' rating was what made it run too hot.

Most certainly not. 5W-50 is far thicker oil than 5W-30. The engine requires 5W-30 or 10W-30 is suitable, 20W-50 is far too thick on cold start, the first number is cold start value, so the 5W part was certainly not causing it to run hot. The second number, being the 50, is too thick and will cause you a loss in power due to parasitic drag of the thicker oil, and hotter temps.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:15 pm

Case_94 wrote:
Panther wrote:sorry $6:20, glasses back on, thanks for the rest of the info to go with it

Mate, have you actually READ the 'rules'? - I don’t mind if you mention Corvette Qld; it's just linking I don’t advocate, because no one other than ONE Chev club in the whole of AU was courteous enough to reciprocate a link!

...and I'm very surprised that THEY would charge so little for an oil filter. :o

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:22 pm

australi wrote:
Case_94 wrote:

Mate, have you actually READ the 'rules'? - I don’t mind if you mention Corvette Qld; it's just linking I don’t advocate, because no one other than ONE Chev club in the whole of AU was courteous enough to reciprocate a link!

...and I'm very surprised that THEY would charge so little for an oil filter. :o

Thats the price they quote me.... Thats a fair price i reckon, considering the amount of business i try to swing their way, since they look after me so well i like to try and look after them. I have indeed read them yes, i also got a stern warning for having a link in my profile. As i said, they look after me very well, so i like to do my bit for them.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:25 pm

Case_94 wrote:Most certainly not. 5W-50 is far thicker oil than 5W-30. The engine requires 5W-30 or 10W-30 is suitable, 20W-50 is far too thick on cold start, the first number is cold start value, so the 5W part was certainly not causing it to run hot. The second number, being the 50, is too thick and will cause you a loss in power due to parasitic drag of the thicker oil, and hotter temps.

Mate, I realise that 20w50 is thicker oil; I've been playing with engines of all types for about 28years, which is about 5 years before you were BORN, so I HAVE picked up a tiny bit of knowledge along the way...Remember tho; that my '85 has at least 120,000 miles on it (according to the broken odometer) so naturally a THICKER oil is more suitable for MY application. I may be wrong but I think the later C4's like your '94 came out with 30 weight oil being the recommended max - but that WAS I believe, designated for use in the USA, not particularly for our generally much hotter climate here in Australia...

PS; ALL full synthetics will yield a few extra HP (at least) due to decreased co-efficient drag.

There's some good online video's out there at places such as the pennzoil and royal purple websites

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:38 pm

australi wrote:Mate, I realise that 20w50 is thicker oil; I've been playing with engines of all types for about 28years, which is about 5 years before you were BORN, so I HAVE picked up a tiny bit of knowledge along the way...Remember tho; that my '85 has at least 120,000 miles on it (according to the broken odometer) so naturally a THICKER oil is more suitable for MY application. I may be wrong but I think the later C4's like your '94 came out with 30 weight oil being the recommended max - but that WAS I believe, designated for use in the USA, not particularly for our generally much hotter climate here in Australia...

PS; ALL full synthetics will yield a few extra HP (at least) due to decreased co-efficient drag.

There's some good online video's out there at places such as the pennzoil and royal purple websites

84-96 were all 5W-30 from the factory, 92-96 REQUIRE synthetic, and are a MOBIL 1 Factory Fill.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:44 pm

Case_94 wrote: i also got a stern warning for having a link in my profile.

Mate; refer to PM

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:47 pm

Case_94 wrote:84-96 were all 5W-30 from the factory, 92-96 REQUIRE synthetic, and are a MOBIL 1 Factory Fill.

Oh righto; wasn't sure. ALL of them had the badge underhood saying use MOBIL ONE - Correct (I know mine does) So in other words, ALL C4's are 'supposed to' use Mobil one full synthetic, right?

PS; so MAYBE I should try Mobil one 5W-30 before I dismiss it? (I couldn't even FIND 5W-30 Mobil one anywhere at the time)...Nah; I'll go with the Pennzoil 5w50 - have heard nothing but good reports about it, yet heard already here from a few people that they weren't happy with mobile one in their vettes.

As I SAID tho, I'm totally FOR mobile one OR any other full synths for their CLEANING abilities, that’s for sure.

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:08 am

australi wrote:
Case_94 wrote:84-96 were all 5W-30 from the factory, 92-96 REQUIRE synthetic, and are a MOBIL 1 Factory Fill.

Oh righto; wasn't sure. ALL of them had the badge underhood saying use MOBIL ONE - Correct (I know mine does) So in other words, ALL C4's are 'supposed to' use Mobil one full synthetic, right?

PS; so MAYBE I should try Mobil one 5W-30 before I dismiss it? (I couldn't even FIND 5W-30 Mobil one anywhere at the time)...Nah; I'll go with the Pennzoil 5w50 - have heard nothing but good reports about it, yet heard already here from a few people that they weren't happy with mobile one in their vettes.

As I SAID tho, I'm totally FOR mobile one OR any other full synths for their CLEANING abilities, that’s for sure.

No, not all of them had that badge, yours was put there by someone. 92-96 had that MOBIL 1 Factory Fill emblem, yours should have one saying somthing like CORVETTE Bowling Green K.Y.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:29 am

Case_94 wrote:No, not all of them had that badge, yours was put there by someone. 92-96 had that MOBIL 1 Factory Fill emblem, yours should have one saying somthing like CORVETTE Bowling Green K.Y.

Yeah it has the bowling green one - I'll have to dbl check; maybe I'm only imagining mine has the mobil one badge :? (NOT unusual for me!) hehehe

So even if they dont have the mobil badge, ALL C4;s were factory filled with it?

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:29 am

australi wrote:Yeah it has the bowling green one - I'll have to dbl check; maybe I'm only imagining mine has the mobil one badge :? (NOT unusual for me!) hehehe

So even if they dont have the mobil badge, ALL C4;s were factory filled with it?

Im not sure what they filled 84-91 with, 92-96 were MOBIL 1, so were 90-95 ZR1s as far as i know.

zaragoza
VIP Forum User

Postby zaragoza » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:56 am

I forgot to log in when I first replied to this post, so I will try it again.
I use Mobil 1 in all my cars.
We all live in a yellow subroutine.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:08 pm

zaragoza wrote:I forgot to log in when I first replied to this post, so I will try it again.
I use Mobil 1 in all my cars.

What viscosity to you use?

MyC3rulz

Postby MyC3rulz » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:06 pm

Pennzoil for me also :-)

stingray
*Gold Class Member #177

Postby stingray » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:38 pm

MyC3rulz wrote:Pennzoil for me also :-)

Top choice there :D

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:25 pm

Im going over to Redline in the next oil change.... There is a movie called Redline with a ZR1 in it.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:07 pm

Case_94 wrote:Im going over to Redline in the next oil change.... There is a movie called Redline with a ZR1 in it.

Guys, I think the very NUMBER ONE key rule, is to change WHATEVER brand u prefer REGULARLY and with quality oil (NEVER EVER a crap woolies/coles/supercheap or other generic brand oil!)

I don’t think my oil rambling are still in this 'new' version of the forum (& I apologise if I'm repeating myself), but condensed, I was saying how my Honda 750 I had for many years didn’t even need a hone when I rebuilt it after 100,000+ HARD kms, and I put that SOLEY down to ALWAYS using GOOD QUALITY oil and changing filter every time. I used to change the oil at on Avg. 1500kms (Which IS probably excessive I know).

'God' could tell you that when he and his dad ('God Senior') rebuilt a rello's crumblydore; the engine internals were CAKED SOLID with thick black sooty gunk as the owners used to use cheap shit 'no name' oil. They rebuilt it on the proviso that they never again use garbage oil.

PM 'God' and he'll verify that he cracked rings in his van years ago which he contributes solely to using castrol recycled garbage oil.

***end rant***

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:17 pm

australi wrote:
Guys, I think the very NUMBER ONE key rule, is to change WHATEVER brand u prefer REGULARLY and with quality oil (NEVER EVER a cr*p woolies/coles/supercheap or other generic brand oil!)

I don’t think my oil rambling are still in this 'new' version of the forum (& I apologise if I'm repeating myself), but condensed, I was saying how my Honda 750 I had for many years didn’t even need a hone when I rebuilt it after 100,000+ HARD kms, and I put that SOLEY down to ALWAYS using GOOD QUALITY oil and changing filter every time. I used to change the oil at on Avg. 1500kms (Which IS probably excessive I know).

'God' could tell you that when he and his dad ('God Senior') rebuilt a rello's crumblydore; the engine internals were CAKED SOLID with thick black sooty gunk as the owners used to use cheap sh*t 'no name' oil. They rebuilt it on the proviso that they never again use garbage oil.

PM 'God' and he'll verify that he cracked rings in his van years ago which he contributes solely to using castrol recycled garbage oil.

I doubt too many people are going to know what a crumblydore is mate.... :-x

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Case_94 wrote:I doubt too many people are going to know what a crumblydore is mate.... :-x

The Aussies will and besides, outside of NZ and AU, NO ONE would know the name

stingray
*Gold Class Member #177

Postby stingray » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:31 pm

You get what you pay for

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:02 pm

australi wrote:

Id never heard it til i met you actually, They were selling them in some foreign country a few years back as Commodores.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:55 am

Case_94 wrote:
australi wrote:

Id never heard it til i met you actually, They were selling them in some foreign country a few years back as Commodores.

WERE they??
I thought they were always sold as Opel's

Case_94

Postby Case_94 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:43 pm

australi wrote:
Case_94 wrote:
australi wrote:

WERE they??
I thought they were always sold as Opel's

Thats afirmative, also Vauxall. And in one particular place they were still known as Commodores and Statesmans. (only the manufacturer names were changed)

Return to “General Technical and Performance”