ZR-1 reviews

C6 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

Unsprung
*Senior Forum User

ZR-1 reviews

Postby Unsprung » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:15 pm

The two leading automotive e-magazines now have on-the-road reviews of the ZR-1:

Driver's Republic (UK)
http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/corvette2008/

Winding Road (US)
http://windingroad.nextautos.com/windingroad/200810web/?folio=94

Two reminders:

- to turn the page, click the forward arrow that appears at the top of your browser frame,

- to magnify a page, click once... anywhere on that page; click once again to return to normal size.

:o

steves87
Gold Class Member #687

Postby steves87 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:37 pm

thanks mate, really liked the name choosing section in the winding roads review

Unsprung
*Senior Forum User

Postby Unsprung » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:54 am

steves87 wrote:thanks mate, really liked the name choosing section in the winding roads review

Me too. GM certainly took its time deciding on one single name for this car...

My fav excerpt: "the 'SS' name wouldn't play well in areas such as, well, Germany."

steves87
Gold Class Member #687

Postby steves87 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:04 pm

ha, yeah, i had a bit of a chuckle at that too....

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:25 pm

Most interesting to compare the different points of view between the U.K. author and one from the states. In the end although, Even the U.K. author had to admit, The Corvette needs to be taken seriously!

Unsprung
*Senior Forum User

Postby Unsprung » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:12 am

DOC wrote:Most interesting to compare the different points of view between the U.K. author and one from the states. In the end although, Even the U.K. author had to admit, The Corvette needs to be taken seriously!

Yeah, the English tend to be more uncompromising about what can be classified as top performance or "a supercar" -- sometimes without accounting for the massive, and I'd say ludicrous, difference in price between the cars produced by Bowling Green and those from Maranello or Stuttgart.

I mean: You know what? If the other car costs US$200,000 more than the Corvette, then it d*** well better be better. My argument would be that it is not X-hundred percent better than the Corvette, and that, most of the time, one is paying for exclusivity or for subjective things like curb appeal or an exquisite exhaust note.

It's not wrong to pay for such things -- I'd love to -- but it is also not wrong to maintain perspective for those of us who are not blessed with bulging bank accounts.

The English probably have the world's most colorful attachment to sports cars, be these small roadsters or posh grand tourers. And their knowledge of suspensions and expectations of handling and driver input are arguably first in the world. But theirs is mostly a rich man's game or, at least, it has historically been that way.

Thus, you have the curious situation that many Englishmen are fans, yet few participate. As an example, I must mention again the irony of how acquaintances in Europe might poo-poo my decision to opt for the 'Vette... whilst they drive something like a Renault hatchback or a Suzuki 4X4. It's absurd.

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:30 am

yeah i hear that unsprung...
without a doubt the new vette IS a supercar, and to more than just the english ( who DO like it) are a bit peeved that the vette will outgun their ferraris,lambos etc etc.....
to many the exotics are just that.....how many get driven? if they do not very much....
prob about the only european supercar that is classed as an every day driver would be the porsche and the mercedes....,
but the mecedes is an outside supplier in the AMG series....,and i would hardly class a merc with all the bells and whistles a supercar, more a poshmobile...
the english are USED to seeing the exotic stuff, with active everything,anti everything,and electric everything....all wrapped up in a pretty parcel.....
so that becomes their yardstick, same as aussies who copare to a lesser extent the holden/falcon/toyota debate...
and when you look at what the euro types are preducing you quickly realise just how far behind the australians are, which is a shame....as aussies build some of the BEST in the world when it comes to car.... but its "no thrills" stuff.....so doesnt count....UNTIL THEY DRIVE IT.....

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:06 am

You forgot Mercedes Nift! :)

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:59 pm

australi wrote:You forgot Mercedes Nift! :)
nio i didnt...read it again boss.... 8)
how could i ever forget a mercedes...even if i wanted to

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:48 pm

It's so very interesting, From the Brit point of view, Cutting the seats and interior. While still referring to the car as a super car! The American Stated the car was NOT a super car! Funny that. The difference in points of view. Me, I WISH I could afford such a wonderful toy. ... Maybe when it's 15 years old!

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:05 pm

here are what top gear said about the aussie monaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBAdmfq6 ... re=related

YLLA 88
*Gold Class Member #444

Postby YLLA 88 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:53 pm

nifty wrote:here are what top gear said about the aussie monaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBAdmfq6 ... re=related

Hey Nifty, Would really like to see the Coupe in VE form, Billion Dollar Baby in Coupe form now that would be a nice car! :D :D :D :D :D

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:31 pm

that would be neat yella

Unsprung
*Senior Forum User

Postby Unsprung » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:26 am

nifty wrote:yeah i hear that unsprung...
without a doubt the new vette IS a supercar, and to more than just the english ( who DO like it) are a bit peeved that the vette will outgun their ferraris,lambos etc etc.....
to many the exotics are just that.....how many get driven? if they do not very much....
prob about the only european supercar that is classed as an every day driver would be the porsche and the mercedes....,
but the mecedes is an outside supplier in the AMG series....,and i would hardly class a merc with all the bells and whistles a supercar, more a poshmobile...
the english are USED to seeing the exotic stuff, with active everything,anti everything,and electric everything....all wrapped up in a pretty parcel.....
so that becomes their yardstick, same as aussies who copare to a lesser extent the holden/falcon/toyota debate...
and when you look at what the euro types are preducing you quickly realise just how far behind the australians are, which is a shame....as aussies build some of the BEST in the world when it comes to car.... but its "no thrills" stuff.....so doesnt count....UNTIL THEY DRIVE IT.....

Hey, once again it's worth repeating that things like that FPV turbocharged 4.0-litre straight six seem very attractive to me. Wish you guys didn't have things like that all to yourselves. I say: Bring 'em on!

About the English and their sense of the exquisite: I would say that this is not limited to active suspensions and computerized gizmos.

Even the most simple old-school roadster in the UK can achieve impressive handling characteristics from modest underpinnings. The English will hover over this simple setup with a fastidious eye, reducing unsprung weight and adjusting damping, etc., to take advantage of even the slightest changes to wheel/tire size and weight.

The challenge, however, is that this can still be costly to register, insure, operate and maintain, at least from a US market point of view. Often the same car will have more upper-income adherents in the UK and more middle class folk in the US. Of all the anglophone countries, the UK is certainly tops in terms of cost.

This is sometimes a source of friction when so-called public school types discover that the hoi polloi can afford to have fun, too. For example, I believe that this is one of the reasons that Jeremy Clarkson is so caustic.

Unsprung
*Senior Forum User

Postby Unsprung » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:29 am

DOC wrote:It's so very interesting, From the Brit point of view, Cutting the seats and interior. While still referring to the car as a super car! The American Stated the car was NOT a super car! Funny that. The difference in points of view. Me, I WISH I could afford such a wonderful toy. ... Maybe when it's 15 years old!

The cast of characters at Winding Road includes some notorious names in US automotive journalism. That said, they tend to be a bit "let's be more European than the Europeans" at times.

I wonder if this is because they're socially insecure. They didn't even like the ordinary C6 coupe, declaring it lacking compared to the Porsche Boxster (a hairdresser's car if ever there was one).

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:59 am

speaking on minimilistic....who wants one of these? I DO........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:07 pm

Now there's a toy for a single guy!

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:12 pm

DOC wrote:Now there's a toy for a single guy!
that would be a good fun car.....

YLLA 88
*Gold Class Member #444

Postby YLLA 88 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:05 pm

nifty wrote:speaking on minimilistic....who wants one of these? I DO........

300BHP what a wicked little pocket rocket.... I want one to! may be we can get a group buy discount! ) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:07 pm

YLLA 88 wrote:

300BHP what a wicked little pocket rocket.... I want one to! may be we can get a group buy discount! ) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
good idea....you can have it when im finished with it..... :-)

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:21 pm

No Nifty. We all have to get one! Let the race begin!

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:01 pm

DOC wrote:No Nifty. We all have to get one! Let the race begin!
now theres a good plan..... i cant afford one of them so i will make do with a superkart..... 250cc with a 6 speed box will do it.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dGoZs_tZh8

Unsprung
*Senior Forum User

Postby Unsprung » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:42 pm

What a cool car.

Return to “Sixth Generation C6 (2005-2012) General Discussion”