Z06 Club Sport

C6 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

User avatar
Unsprung
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 am
Location: New York USA

Z06 Club Sport

Postby Unsprung » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Katech, the engine and race-tuning outfit, has produced a road racing version of the Corvette Z06 that tweaks horsepower whilst taking a knife to overall weight.

You've probably seen similar types of "streetable" track cars from Ferrari, Viper, and Porsche. The emphasis is on reducing weight. In this case, the Club Sport Z06 can be as low as 2825 pounds (1281kg) -- very good for a full-sized GT car with large wheels and a 7.0-liter V8.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/26/pics-aplenty-katech-corvette-z06-clubsport/

http://www.katechengines.com/

Katech is based in the state of Michigan, in the midwest.

Two of the things that I appreciate about cars such as this Club Sport Z06 are a) the reminder that reducing weight, in particular unsprung weight, can be as important as adding horsepower, and b) ordinary guys without deep pockets can do things on their own to reduce the weight of their cars. (and themselves!)

User avatar
gtc
* VIP Forum User
Posts: 2683
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:56 am
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Postby gtc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:02 pm

Now, that's a good looking Vette!

User avatar
Panther
*Gold Class Member #460
Posts: 1166
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:07 pm
Location: Marayong, Sydney, Australia

Postby Panther » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:56 am

new ZR1 looks better, dont like the wheels, couldn't see the value in it

User avatar
Unsprung
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 am
Location: New York USA

Postby Unsprung » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:20 am

Panther wrote:new ZR1 looks better, dont like the wheels, couldn't see the value in it


The bonnet isn't the most subtle feature about this car, is it? But it's horses for courses, if you ask me. This Club Sport is intended for heavy use on a road racing circuit where shaving even a few kg and managing airflow can provide competitive advantage. Repeated wide-open-throttle is followed by hard braking and constant shifting.

In contrast to that mission, the ZR1 is supposed to be a luxurious grand tourer: travel long distances with both absolute power and a generous serving of creature comforts (via the interior fitment and the magnetic-reactive shock absorbers). I guess that's why the ZR1 weighs some 200kg more than the Club Sport. (ie: no compromises)

Just my two cents. :o

User avatar
steves87
Gold Class Member #687
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:26 pm
Location: Lesmurdie, Western Australia

Postby steves87 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:57 pm

although i dont like the bonnet either.... it still wouldnt stop me from owning one :)

User avatar
Unsprung
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 am
Location: New York USA

Postby Unsprung » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:50 pm

Replace the bonnet and I'm in! :o

A weight reduction to 1282kg for this sort of car is superb. But it's also a reminder that the Corvette, even in its C6 incarnation, is still a fairly generously-sized vehicle.

When the C7 comes out, I won't be surprised if it is slightly smaller and a lot lighter. Perhaps as light as this track version of the Z06.

As an aside, I have to say that I really am intrigued by the weight reduction idea in general. It's never been easier or more affordable to add horsepower -- and a modified C6 can be a mind-blowing missile -- but the subject of weight reduction does not get the attention it deserves. Probably because it costs a lot of money to reduce weight beyond the obvious things such as lighter wheels, lighter brakes, and lighter seats.

User avatar
steves87
Gold Class Member #687
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:26 pm
Location: Lesmurdie, Western Australia

Postby steves87 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:28 am

Unsprung wrote:Replace the bonnet and I'm in! :o

A weight reduction to 1282kg for this sort of car is superb. But it's also a reminder that the Corvette, even in its C6 incarnation, is still a fairly generously-sized vehicle.

When the C7 comes out, I won't be surprised if it is slightly smaller and a lot lighter. Perhaps as light as this track version of the Z06.

As an aside, I have to say that I really am intrigued by the weight reduction idea in general. It's never been easier or more affordable to add horsepower -- and a modified C6 can be a mind-blowing missile -- but the subject of weight reduction does not get the attention it deserves. Probably because it costs a lot of money to reduce weight beyond the obvious things such as lighter wheels, lighter brakes, and lighter seats.


me too Unsprung, as a heavy boy, i know the effects of weight all too well. i notice it the most when i am go-karting with mates.
i dont like to blow my own horn, but id be the fastest in my circle of frinds by far if i was lighter. track times amongst us are always close, within say .2-.7ish (usually in my favour) but in some cases i have a 35-40kg weight disadvantage over the next mate.
so when it comes to driving the big stuff (cars) i try keep as much crap out of them, even 'spares' (theres always someone to go get it for me if i need it). its not so much a 'power' thing but it plays a lot on fuel efficiency too.

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:33 am

is it me or does that bonnet remind you off a lotus elise?

User avatar
Unsprung
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 am
Location: New York USA

Postby Unsprung » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:42 pm

nifty wrote:is it me or does that bonnet remind you off a lotus elise?



Yes, it is you. :-x :D

Just kidding! It looks very like the bonnet of an Elise. Obviously, the Elise bonnet is not about extracting heat from the engine (which is mid-rear mounted), but it might assist with downforce and/or brake venting. Somebody else on this forum will know.

The Elise is a great car, IMHO. More of a track car than a daily driver, but it dispatches its track duties, and occasional street fun, with agility.

User avatar
Unsprung
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 am
Location: New York USA

Postby Unsprung » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:53 pm

steves87 wrote:
Unsprung wrote:Replace the bonnet and I'm in! :o

A weight reduction to 1282kg for this sort of car is superb. But it's also a reminder that the Corvette, even in its C6 incarnation, is still a fairly generously-sized vehicle.

When the C7 comes out, I won't be surprised if it is slightly smaller and a lot lighter. Perhaps as light as this track version of the Z06.

As an aside, I have to say that I really am intrigued by the weight reduction idea in general. It's never been easier or more affordable to add horsepower -- and a modified C6 can be a mind-blowing missile -- but the subject of weight reduction does not get the attention it deserves. Probably because it costs a lot of money to reduce weight beyond the obvious things such as lighter wheels, lighter brakes, and lighter seats.


me too Unsprung, as a heavy boy, i know the effects of weight all too well. i notice it the most when i am go-karting with mates.
i dont like to blow my own horn, but id be the fastest in my circle of frinds by far if i was lighter. track times amongst us are always close, within say .2-.7ish (usually in my favour) but in some cases i have a 35-40kg weight disadvantage over the next mate.
so when it comes to driving the big stuff (cars) i try keep as much crap out of them, even 'spares' (theres always someone to go get it for me if i need it). its not so much a 'power' thing but it plays a lot on fuel efficiency too.



Hey Steves87, I'm with you all the way: I patrol the insides of my car like a storm trooper on crack to keep out anything that's not absolutely necessary. My car is e m p t y... empty. -)

As a byproduct of this, the car seems to stay cleaner for longer. Of course, if I'm on a four-day weekend roadtrip, the detritus of paper and plastic and whatnot tends to accumulate, but not for too long.

On the weight issue: I am working on reducing "sprung weight" in the driver's seat. :-x Man, what happened to the ability to eat and drink whatever you like... with no penalties? Once ya hit 40, calories and carb's seem to stick like never before! I, of course, am taking a slow road to addressing this matter. :)

User avatar
gtc
* VIP Forum User
Posts: 2683
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:56 am
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Postby gtc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Unsprung wrote: Once ya hit 40, calories and carb's seem to stick like never before! I, of course, am taking a slow road to addressing this matter. :)


Then you'll definitely be avoiding this:

Image

User avatar
Unsprung
*Senior Forum User
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 am
Location: New York USA

Postby Unsprung » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 pm

LOL! :-x

BTW, did you read earlier this year about the caloric intake of the Olympic athletes? It's insane. On the other hand, if I could only work out for hours and hours each day, I, too, could stuff myself with a 10,000 calorie diet.

User avatar
gtc
* VIP Forum User
Posts: 2683
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:56 am
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Postby gtc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:08 pm

and how about this dufus. He should be made to choke on it and die. Now that would be reality TV:

Image

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:07 am

and im losing weight....well not really losing weight, more gaining muscle and losing lard.....
since ive been walking and lifting weights at work im losing the gut, and gaining muscle in legs and arms.....
which just goes to prove....
"im not very smart but i can lift heavy fings....."

User avatar
nifty
*Gold Class Member #427
Posts: 7474
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 am
Location: whyalla, South Australia

Postby nifty » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:14 am

damn double posting

User avatar
steves87
Gold Class Member #687
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:26 pm
Location: Lesmurdie, Western Australia

Postby steves87 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:15 pm

Unsprung wrote:
steves87 wrote:
Unsprung wrote:Replace the bonnet and I'm in! :o

A weight reduction to 1282kg for this sort of car is superb. But it's also a reminder that the Corvette, even in its C6 incarnation, is still a fairly generously-sized vehicle.

When the C7 comes out, I won't be surprised if it is slightly smaller and a lot lighter. Perhaps as light as this track version of the Z06.

As an aside, I have to say that I really am intrigued by the weight reduction idea in general. It's never been easier or more affordable to add horsepower -- and a modified C6 can be a mind-blowing missile -- but the subject of weight reduction does not get the attention it deserves. Probably because it costs a lot of money to reduce weight beyond the obvious things such as lighter wheels, lighter brakes, and lighter seats.


me too Unsprung, as a heavy boy, i know the effects of weight all too well. i notice it the most when i am go-karting with mates.
i dont like to blow my own horn, but id be the fastest in my circle of frinds by far if i was lighter. track times amongst us are always close, within say .2-.7ish (usually in my favour) but in some cases i have a 35-40kg weight disadvantage over the next mate.
so when it comes to driving the big stuff (cars) i try keep as much crap out of them, even 'spares' (theres always someone to go get it for me if i need it). its not so much a 'power' thing but it plays a lot on fuel efficiency too.



Hey Steves87, I'm with you all the way: I patrol the insides of my car like a storm trooper on crack to keep out anything that's not absolutely necessary. My car is e m p t y... empty. -)

As a byproduct of this, the car seems to stay cleaner for longer. Of course, if I'm on a four-day weekend roadtrip, the detritus of paper and plastic and whatnot tends to accumulate, but not for too long.

On the weight issue: I am working on reducing "sprung weight" in the driver's seat. :-x Man, what happened to the ability to eat and drink whatever you like... with no penalties? Once ya hit 40, calories and carb's seem to stick like never before! I, of course, am taking a slow road to addressing this matter. :)


:-x :D


Return to “Sixth Generation C6 (2005-2012) General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest