importing C5 vette.. few Q's.

C5 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

mob-z

Postby mob-z » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:23 pm

Winfield RED wrote:I think youll find the black C5 at CQ is long gone mate (unless its back again, but it wasnt when i was there a week and a half ago). It wasnt worth $75,000 really either, it was ok, but it was ordered to economically cruise, not to perform.

ook yea it must be back because i have been talking to kevin up there and he is goin to organise for me to come up and have a look, i mainly want to see it to because i have only ever seen a few b4 before and im not sure if i will even fit in one :( but from what ppl have said im sure i wont have any drama's

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:27 pm

Kevin is a good fella mate yeah. Let me know when you plan to roll up there and ill meet you there if ya like :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:33 pm

mob-z wrote:
Winfield RED wrote:I think youll find the black C5 at CQ is long gone mate (unless its back again, but it wasnt when i was there a week and a half ago). It wasnt worth $75,000 really either, it was ok, but it was ordered to economically cruise, not to perform.

ook yea it must be back because i have been talking to kevin up there and he is goin to organise for me to come up and have a look, i mainly want to see it to because i have only ever seen a few b4 before and im not sure if i will even fit in one :( but from what ppl have said im sure i wont have any drama's

She's a nice enough looking car (I've driven it), see:
http://www.australiancorvettesassociati ... 2f3c084c71

mob-z

Postby mob-z » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:38 pm

Winfield RED wrote:Kevin is a good fella mate yeah. Let me know when you plan to roll up there and ill meet you there if ya like :o

PM sent

mob-z

Postby mob-z » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:43 pm

another Q i had which isnt really related, how fast are some of you guys getting the c5's? i want to tune this car to have unreal acceleration, i currantly own a mkiv supra, and was just goin to upgrade to a newer Turbo mkiv and tune it up, but for the price of the car and the mods i had planned i can easly get into a c5, plus V8 ftw anyday!! lol

Panther
*Gold Class Member #460

Postby Panther » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:05 pm

didn't read all post, but Jeremy is spot on

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:13 pm

He was Panther yes.

Mob-Z if its unreal acceleration youre after mate that car isnt the one for you. Youll need one with the right options, that black one Australi test drove sat at CQ for over 3 years cause they had so much trouble selling it, for what reason i dont know, but now if its back there this quick, id have to say it must be a private sale (and what does that tell you besides no statutory warranty) cause CQ tell me they simply dont deal in used vehicles of any kind any more and they are very adiment to me about that.

Now the rest of you can come along and tell me i just love to bag people out, but then you can all sit back and think a few minutes about that... What would i have to gain by doing that? What does this man have to lose by buying a car that will cost him more than he has to spend?

gtc
* VIP Forum User

Postby gtc » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:53 pm

mob-z wrote:i have been looking at some great cars on the net, 2002 c5's low km. for around 30,000aud, converting=38g, plus what 10,000??? all up for taxes and gst, and importing?? this figure may be way off someone please correct me.. so i am under the impression that i could get into a realy nice c5 for under 80,000 all up??

I dunno about the conversion costs, but here is a worked example from the Customs website for a AU$50,000 import:

Customs Value = $50,000
Customs Duty @ 10% ** = $5,000 Payable
International Transport & Insurance = $2,000

Value of Taxable Importation = $57,000

GST (10%) = $5,700 Payable

Luxury Car Tax Value = $62,700

LCT is levied on vehicles with a value in excess of $57,009

The calculation of the LCT is as follows:

LCT
= 25/100 x 10/11 x (luxury car tax value - luxury car tax threshold)
= 25/100 x 10/11 x ($62,700 - $57,009)
= 25/100 x 10/11 x $5,691
= 25/100 x $5,173.64
= $1,293.41 Payable

Therefore, the total customs duty, GST and LCT payable on a passenger motor vehicle with a
Customs value of $50,000 and international transport & insurance costs of $2,000 is:

Customs duty plus GST plus LCT
= $5,000 + $5,700 + $1,293.41
= $11,993.41 Payable

** I believe the duty is now 15%

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:29 am

Mob-z; having driven the C5 in question, I can say it’s a nice car and I'd probably have it, for the right price (like $50k). It drives nicely but frankly (even though out of respect, I didn't really hoof it), I was a little let down, in as much as I'd thought a C5 should out accelerate a C4; and in this case, I cannot honestly say that it felt as quick as my C4 and CERTAINLY not as quick as Winnie Reds C4 (lucky bastard with his traction control!) :-x

BUT; in fairness; this was the only C5 I've so far driven, but I'd assume the results to be about correct for a standard C5.

Now; I DO know that you CAN make them DAMNED QUICK, WITH spending some money on the right bits - I don’t have a C5 so it’s not my place to suggest which mods, but a BORLA exhaust seems to get great feedback (and hell, they sound lovely at W.O.T!)

It DID take me a few years before I came to the conclusion that I would have one - they ALL look better in person to me, than in photographs (where they always seem bent in the middle)

The C5's IMHO, are a nice, comfortable and 'modern' car, which stands head and shoulders above a Supra; visually and in most other respects...
:o

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:01 pm

Australi we can only really asume its the same car, it was no where to be seen when i was last up there.

But one comment is the Borla exhaust system, its a total waste of money really, i can take any car down to the exhaust shop, bend up the pipes, whack on some good high flow cats and some Genie mufflers and not only have i got a system just as good as a Borla system, but itll cost less than half the price.

mob-z

Postby mob-z » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:47 pm

hey guys thanks for all the replys, helping alot, the other thing i have not been sure about was, convertible/hardtop/coupe.. but after about a month of thinking i have decided i want a black coupe. is there any pro's/con's to any of the 3 body style's? leaking ect.? i would presume the coupe would be a little more stiff in the body then the other to yes?

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:07 pm

Well yes, W.R., we are assuming it to be the same car - had only trade plates on.

You may be right as well about exhaust, but having seen a real Borla in the flesh, that’s why I'm praising the sound - sounded damned hot!

...Anyway, doesn't this fly in the face of what you said elsewhere about importing Vs locally made?..

Never mind...

'Mob-z' - As for the rain Vs the Corvettes mate; I'd better not make a blanket statement! :) :-x (But all of them leak at least a tiny bit in my experience!)

Hardtop doesn't have a roof leak issue - Coupe has a removable roof, therefore a potential for an issue - Convertible is a floppy coupe roof, major potential for issues! :-x

Of course, NEW window rubbers DO work miracles (sometimes)
:o

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:12 am

Well Australi the Borla isnt made in Australia, its imported, and as i say, simular standard can be had for alot less here at the right place.

Mob-z the FRC (or fixed roof coupe) will be stiffer and potentially handle better than the other 2, but in some cases has less optional items available, and you cant remove the roof at all. Im not certain if they could be had in automatic or only manual, but as far as i know they only came in manual. They didnt have adjustable suspension option either. Depends on what you want.

The targa top coupe will be potentially stiffer with the top in place, and probably wont leak too badly, my C4 doesnt really leak unless it buckets down really heavy, and C4s were bad for leaks. C5s i dont know about, but as Australi said itll depend on the condition of the seals, and also, possibly more importantly the alignment of the windows in relation to the seals.

For me i insist on a targa top coupe, i like to take the roof off, but then i like the convenience of being able to put it back on and having a solid roof car. With a convertible, youll generally get more wind swirl than youll get in a targa top with the roof off.

If youre after something you just want to go full out hard and fast in a 6 speed manual, the FRC might be what youre after. If you want the ultra fast machine that can also be a topless cruiser, aim for a targa top. I dont really like convertibles so me commenting on them would only be a biased opinion and i give more than enough of them on here as it is.

The forum member known as JJL has recently aquired an FRC, from memory he is down near the gold coast, he might be interested in giving you a run down of his vehicle.

Forum member MAXX WRENCH has a 6 speed targa top coupe, and while he is a long way from home, he knows C5s and could help you out with questions.

Forum member Panther has a C5 convertible, and he also knows C5s very well, as well as knowing alot about RHD conversions having been involved with them for some time.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:20 am

Winfield RED wrote:Well Australi the Borla isnt made in Australia, its imported, and as i say, simular standard can be had for alot less here at the right place.

Yeah Red, I know. Except in cases like the bloke we know who paid 3 grand for an exhaust system (on his '84).

I agree on all points re the roof and meant to add that yes; with removable roof ON, you definitely notice the whole car (C4s at least) becomes stiffer. Can't say I notice that effect with my C3.

Without looking at Ecklers etc website, I know that C4's at least DO have options available in the form of chassis and engine bay cross-braces, to tighten things up, but in standard trim, the above applies; though may be more noticeable with earlier C4's like my '85?

One would assume C5s' and then C6s' have become commensurately stiffer with roof off, but then we all know what assumption can do, right :?:
{Makes an ASS out of U & ME !}
:) :-x

mob-z

Postby mob-z » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:38 am

yea i would like the coupe with the removable roof, i do alot of just realxed chill out driving where id love it have the roof off, but i also do alot of hard driving (roof on) lol... from a few things i have read doesnt look like the coupes with removable tops have much trouble with leaking so i guess thats good :P

as to the stiffness i will be putting full strut bars n possibly sway bars all round so she'll be nice and stiff anyway. so i guess it doesn't really matter much..

is there anywhere that you can recomend to buy the vette from? i have just been looking at the site i thinks its called usedcorvettesforsale.com?? somthing like that. is there anywhere else i can be looking?

also i have heard that CQ dont really deal in 2nd hand cars so im guessing i cant just tell them what i want and they do all the work? lol

cheers fella's

gtc
* VIP Forum User

Postby gtc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:45 am

mob-z wrote: is there anywhere else i can be looking?

carsales.com.au

has quite a few vettes advertised, of various generations, although some of them are not yet in the country.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:49 am

...Yes, carpoint is a good place to browse. Sometimes on our Google links atop forum (Not many want to dontae to help keep forum running so have to try a few things) pop-up with specific corvette sellers; you may want to explore those links too.

Correct, 'PERFORMAX' (Formerly 'Corvette Qld') no longer sells used vettes, except rarely and on consignment like the black one. They focus pretty well exclusively now on importing - converting to RHD - selling finished product & exporting to places like South Africa. (I've put a shot I took there, up as todays forum thumbnail)

C5's must be vastly improved then if no leaks!

I'd never buy a vette if I couldn't take off the roof...Is part of the fun of owning one!
:o :-)

That reminds me:
http://www.australiancorvettesassociati ... de59c07b18

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Australi, some of the later C4s are worse than the earlier ones with the roof off. Either that are they are just alot better with them on so its more noticed with them off.

mob-z wrote:as to the stiffness i will be putting full strut bars n possibly sway bars all round so she'll be nice and stiff anyway. so i guess it doesn't really matter much..

Have you looked into this? They come with swaybars from the factory regardless of which suspension you get, and if you want the Z51 set, get a Z51 optioned coupe.

Im yet to see a strut brace for them, there might be one, but ive never heard of it.

Also, they dont have coilovers, they have transverse leaf springs.

mob-z

Postby mob-z » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Winfield RED wrote:Australi, some of the later C4s are worse than the earlier ones with the roof off. Either that are they are just alot better with them on so its more noticed with them off.

mob-z wrote:as to the stiffness i will be putting full strut bars n possibly sway bars all round so she'll be nice and stiff anyway. so i guess it doesn't really matter much..

Have you looked into this? They come with swaybars from the factory regardless of which suspension you get, and if you want the Z51 set, get a Z51 optioned coupe.

Im yet to see a strut brace for them, there might be one, but ive never heard of it.

Also, they dont have coilovers, they have transverse leaf springs.

yea i no about the leaf springs.. how do they go? i actually thought it was a mistake when i read that it had leafs but then done some research. what is the Z51? what extra's does it have? the last 2 cars i've had i put aftermarket sway bars in and have been the best mod for handeling yet, im after auto to if that helps. as for the strut bars i would get them made up custom, depends on how happy i am with the suspension 1st.

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Dont know how youd go about fitting strut braces but id say if there was a need for them, some company would allready be selling them. Since i dont know of any that are, i doubt there is a need. Certainly no need in the rear.

The leaf springs are perfectly fine for the job, and also help to reduce body roll more so than stiffer coil overs ever will. The springs are double acting for the want of a better word, and they flex in the middle as well in order to assist with keeping the car flat.

Z51 is the heavy duty suspension option. I dont know what extras come on a C5 with that option.

mob-z

Postby mob-z » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:30 pm

Winfield RED wrote:Dont know how youd go about fitting strut braces but id say if there was a need for them, some company would allready be selling them. Since i dont know of any that are, i doubt there is a need. Certainly no need in the rear.

The leaf springs are perfectly fine for the job, and also help to reduce body roll more so than stiffer coil overs ever will. The springs are double acting for the want of a better word, and they flex in the middle as well in order to assist with keeping the car flat.

Z51 is the heavy duty suspension option. I dont know what extras come on a C5 with that option.

ok i was not sure how stiff they are stock, i'll just wait till i get it b4 i start thining about that side of things, i just read that the Z51 came with stiffer suspension, bigger brakes, and a close ration 6speed box. if thats the case id have to pass coz im after a auto.

do you know of anyone in aus that have boosted a c5? i no there are alot of boosted c5's running around oversea's with that APS TT kit which seems to work great with masive power increase with just 8psi..

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Winfield RED wrote:Australi, some of the later C4s are worse than the earlier ones with the roof off...

REALLY? :shock: I'd have thought the later C4's would've been improved in that department, either by subtle design changes or rubber seal compound material...Guess they are basically the same though...

mob-z; as Winnie says - they have transverse leaf springs.
C3's had them but multiple leaf steel and C4's were the first production vehicle anywhere that used a single monoleaf of GRP 'plastic' construction. Thats why the C4's and up handle like they're on rails.

:o :-)

Winfield RED
*Gold Class Member #350

Postby Winfield RED » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:59 pm

Not the water ingress Australi the flex in the chassis mate. The seals on my 87 were perfect and it still leaked a bit in heavy rain, where as the seals on the 94 are rooted and it leaks alot less.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:07 pm

Winfield RED wrote:Not the water ingress Australi the flex in the chassis mate.

AH! Now THAT'S more of a familiar scenario to me! :D

Return to “Fifth Generation C5 (1997-2004) General Discussion”