C4 prices (Australia)

C4 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

australi
* Founding Administrator

C4 prices (Australia)

Postby australi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:28 pm

..I was just down at Coles, browsed thru auto trader I think it was; saw a blurb about yank car values, it said “anyone waiting for the C4 market to pickup, is fooling themselves. With more and more coming on the market and more coming from the states...” It DID reckon RHD can be worth double” – But I’ve not seen it in my research. :cry:

Steve

Re: C4 prices (Australia)

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:06 pm

The same was said about C3,s 10 years ago, many cars came into the country when our dollar was high both C3 and C4 it certainly is not going to make them worth more when that happens
.............right hand drive cars,whoever wrote an article suggesting that they could be worth double really has no idea...........the USA car hobby is not really a money making venture so the selling value of a car is a moot point

68ragtop
*Gold Class Member #245

Postby 68ragtop » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:37 pm

No c3s or c4s are selling at the moment unless they are at the right price. Of all the c4s in the club mag over the last 6 months the only one that sold was a good 85 that was priced under $18k.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Yep; crazy isn't it!? :?

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:43 am

A RHD is worth more to some people, but many are happy to drive them around LHD. Looking through the for sale ads, there are many RHD vettes, camaros and pontiacs from the 80's for sale at decent prices. Every time I see one, I wonder to myself what the quality of the conversion was like. Many still have the brake booster on the left and who knows what was done with the steering.

If I didn't have kids, I'd probably have a cheap C4 to drive to work already, but I need at least one practical car.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:34 am

australi wrote:Yep; crazy isn't it!? :?

not really ,now its a 30 year old car that didnt have the classic looks of a corvette to start with.now there all an outdated old style

why would someone buy an 85 model when they can get an 88 or even an 89 model for similar price ?

i think thats what your up against.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:41 am

ScottW wrote: Every time I see one, I wonder to myself what the quality of the conversion was like. Many still have the brake booster on the left and who knows what was done with the steering.

all of the conversions i,ve seen are pretty bad,a mate here has his steering column poking through his heater box !!! i wonder just how they got through the inspection process :: the welding on my 77 conversion around the new(ford) steering box mounts was terrible.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:01 am

I must be one of few lucky ones then; everyone that's checked mine out has been VERY impressed with the mirror conversion.
It drives SO straight and accurately.
Was done in W.A. 'Fantasy Junction' (now defunct)

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Bazzas77 wrote:
australi wrote:Yep; crazy isn't it!? :?

not really ,now its a 30 year old car that didnt have the classic looks of a corvette to start with.now there all an outdated old style

why would someone buy an 85 model when they can get an 88 or even an 89 model for similar price ?

i think thats what your up against.

WA over 15 years (I think you can register LHD)
Vic over 25 years you can have club reg and 30 years full reg LHD
NSW over 30 years you can have club reg,not sure on full but presume it will be 30 years not sure on other states but presume its 30 years
NT ...Who knows ?

Means anything over a 1985 in most states STILL must be converted to RHD .........I would guess that is why most people are not looking for a 1988 or 1989.
C4 Corvettes are a victim of their popularity,whilst they didn't have the classic "coke bottle" shape They did go around corners (something the tired old C3 chassis doesn't like to do well) ...It is why so many were made and sold ..means there are lots available 2nd hand holding the price down both here and in the USA ......It will change ...in 30 or so years time LOL

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Having driven BOTH my C4 and C3 2 days ago; absolutely the C4 out handles it every time - and steering SO light and accurate - Amazing.

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Ah yeah , forgot about the different rules for you eastern states guys, W.A can have 1988 models in LHD , that's why I said about not bothering with an 85 model !

Return to “Fourth Generation C4 (1984-1996) General Discussion”