Little / Tempremental things wrong with our C4s

C4 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

XR_Strider_GuY

Little / Tempremental things wrong with our C4s

Postby XR_Strider_GuY » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi Guys,

Well I thought I'd start a thread since the C4 discussions have been a little quiet.

Since most of our cars are coming into that classic status that is 20-25years old. Things are starting to need rebuilding, re-furbishing and constant attention.

I am just curious what are these little issues that are either not working or temperamental and whether if its just that you cant fix it. Or just tired of trying to fix it could couldn't be bothered.

I'll start the balls rolling:

Stereo Antenna, doesn't seem to pop up when the radio turns on. I'm not that worried as I am quite happy listening to Cd's.

Climate control buttons occasionally does not work. Though lately it seems to be working perfect. Have to pull the whole climate control console apart and go through each solder join. Couldn't be stuffed.

Center Console lid, hard to open because the sides are pealing away. I need a new lid but not cheap at $350 for a genuine one.

Sys light on dash - Work in progress

Occasional high idle and hard start - Work in progress
1990 C4 Auto "Corvette, its not just buying a car but also a way of life".

TroppoVette
*Gold Class Member #246

Postby TroppoVette » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:22 am

You mean stuff like the hinge on the storage hatch snapping off. The security system goes off if you use the central locking and you have to dissconnect the battery to reset it. The seat leather is completely stuffed, and I'm to tight to do anything about it yet......

vetteoz

Re: Little / Tempremental things wrong with our C4s

Postby vetteoz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:25 am

XR_Strider_GuY wrote:Climate control buttons occasionally does not work. Though lately it seems to be working perfect. Have to pull the whole climate control console apart and go through each solder join. Couldn't be stuffed.

Pull the front cover off and clean the contacts under the rubber button pad
Get corrosion on them and don't make proper contact

vetteoz

Re: Little / Tempremental things wrong with our C4s

Postby vetteoz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:39 am

XR_Strider_GuY wrote:. Things are starting to need rebuilding, re-furbishing and constant attention.

Where to start?
When I see a new owner post a problem , often I know exactly what it is just by reading the post topic because so many have had the same problem in the past
Most are pretty well documented.
Other than expected wear and tear ( seats . etc ) , there is a long list of mainly electronic components that are nearing end of like ; especially in older C4's.

All non weatherpak relays in pre '89 C4's.Lose insulation on plug giving shorts, relay dies from old age
Blower control module ( blower runs full time with key off or not at all )
Blend door motor on C68 cars ( can't change / control temp )
O/d button on 4+3 cars
One way valve on HVAC system ( can't change vent position )
Courtesy light timer
Headlight motors

then there is the serious stuff like
heater core leaking
hubs ( usually rears ) need replacing
All suspension bushes
inner tie rods on steering rack

WA Vetter

Postby WA Vetter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:21 pm

still waiting to get my air cond fixed, need new front brake pads and
the hard start is puzzling might need to get the injectors serviced or replaced
does it ever end :-x

ernbuild
Gold Class Member #154

Postby ernbuild » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:55 pm

You should all start by checking the fault codes in the onboard computer..

I know on mine if there are fault codes some things are just stopped by the ccm. fw)
adventure before dementure

57 Splatt
*Gold Class Member #157

Postby 57 Splatt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:20 am

Nothing wrong with mine, every thing works fine

Steeler

Postby Steeler » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:34 am

In 1965 things were a lot simpler, I have no climate control, no computers, no electric windows, the few bits I have seem to work OK?.
Car goes OK :C and its 46 years old in Jan. :D

CraigH
*Senior Forum User

Re: 1965

Postby CraigH » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:46 am

Steeler wrote:In 1965 things were a lot simpler, I have no climate control, no computers, no electric windows, the few bits I have seem to work OK?.
Car goes OK :C and its 46 years old in Jan. :D

I was thinking the same re my C3 but your C2 is another level again in simplicity again.

Who needs all that stuff anyway :-)

XR_Strider_GuY

Postby XR_Strider_GuY » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:07 pm

ernbuild wrote:You should all start by checking the fault codes in the onboard computer..

I know on mine if there are fault codes some things are just stopped by the ccm. fw)

Mine keeps flashing 12 until the cows come home. Seems to have no faults.

57 Splatt,
Sounds like a nice sorted C4 you have there. I plan to make mine fault free eventually. :o :o

WA Vetter,
If yours is an 98 the injectors on them (my model included) were pretty ordinary and its only a matter of time before they leak.

Steeler, CraigH,
As they say the simple things in life are often the best. And a timeless look to boot.

:D :D

vetteoz

Postby vetteoz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:16 am

XR_Strider_GuY wrote:Mine keeps flashing 12 until the cows come home. Seems to have no faults.

Did you fix the 41 Comms problem?

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:09 am

'XR; you've summed up nicely the typical probs! :o

XR_Strider_GuY

Postby XR_Strider_GuY » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:24 pm

vetteoz wrote:
XR_Strider_GuY wrote:Mine keeps flashing 12 until the cows come home. Seems to have no faults.

Did you fix the 41 Comms problem?

Hi vetteOz,
Sorry for the delay in response.
I am getting closer to solving this issue. Firstly after long periods of driving the sys warning light on the dash sometimes disappears for a good 15-20 minutes. During the time where its all working my instant L/100km is constantly poling and giving me information. When the sys flashes up on the dash it will show 3L/100km no matter if i floor the car or not. This indicates to me a miss contact rather than a short and I am betting its the grounds. Let me know your thoughts if my theory prevails here about the grounds?

I have done the tests (diagnostic plug wire to ECM etc as per factory manual and everything is coming up fine).

I am leaning to the grounds on G106 as the issue. The one near the engine under the car. It has a few cables going to it. I will put the car on blocks and get busy cleaning and sanding the contacts. There is one there that goes to the ECM (a tan wire but not an 800 tan wire).

Also I have a sneaky suspicion (not no theory behind this as yet) that my high idle on occasions is due to this ecm-ccm issue. It seems when the dash is not displaying SYS and working my idle is fine.

Another check i will do for good measure is check the connections on the trip computer switch assembly (the one with odo, fuel resets).

Cheers,
Gary.

Vetted1
*Donating Forum Member

Postby Vetted1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:43 pm

My joystick toggle switch will only move the side
mirrors up and sideways. may have to take it apart
and see what the problem is .

XR_Strider_GuY

Postby XR_Strider_GuY » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Guys,

Well I am slowly getting to the bottom of the things to do. Over the weekend I fixed an arcing problem that had developed on my car a few months now. Every time upon connecting up the battery, I would get a puff of smoke and a burning wire arcing smell.

Whilst I had the car on jacks, I wiggled the starter motor cable and noticed a red glow and arcing on the wire. Turns out the issue was the reflective heat tape the previous owner used which is conducting to the body as the tape is getting old. I threw the tape away and fitted some new plastic loom over the wire.

No more arcing no more bad smells, which has got to be a good thing. :) :) :)

Now my SYS (41 Comms) error, I reckon will need to get back under there and re-run solder new wires for the wires around the G106 ground point. I am believing this is a grounds issue as during a drive my L/100km works on occasion.

The other good news is that I believe my car does not have an end seal leak but rather oil is coming out of the oil temp switch next to the oil filter.

XR_Strider_GuY

Postby XR_Strider_GuY » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Well I have an update for fellow C4 owners. The comms issue C41, by L/100 not showing and a fluctuating idle, hard starts, fluctuating idles was all down to a faulty ECM/EPROM. I got a tested used unit and now the car runs like a champ.

What prompted me to get a new ECM was the fact that the car started to cut out completely and when it did run the speedo was at 0km/h and relays were clicking. I had cleaned up all the grounds and secured the ground wires all around the car.

Now it starts first go every go, rock solid idle hot or cold and can see my computer instant L/100 all the time.

The issues so far (always some on temperamental Reds lol) is the antenna and on really hot sunny periods my dash LCD backlite would go dim. I have to do some tests on the light dependent resister but its no biggie and 95% of the time it works perfectly.

Cheers,
Gary.

57 Splatt
*Gold Class Member #157

Postby 57 Splatt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:56 am

57 Splatt,
Sounds like a nice sorted C4 you have there. I plan to make mine fault free eventually.

YES but i will soon post up a list of the things i have done, its as long as your arm :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:55 am

I could do up a similar C4 list, but prefer all that to remain in the ugly past :P 8) :evil:

57 Splatt
*Gold Class Member #157

Postby 57 Splatt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:06 pm

australi wrote:I could do up a similar C4 list, but prefer all that to remain in the ugly past :P 8) :evil:

Yes i should burn my list as i am not sure if i should add the prices, it may stain my undies :)

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:03 pm

EXACTLY! 'Best we forget' :twisted:

Return to “Fourth Generation C4 (1984-1996) General Discussion”