Changing rim size in WA

C4 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

Amuraxis
General Forum User

Changing rim size in WA

Postby Amuraxis » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:55 am

Hi Guys

First time poster here (pics of my black 85 to come when my camera decides to work.)

Recently I had to replace the tires on my 1985 C4 due to a sidewall blow-out, and after about two months of being unable to find tires in the original size here in Aus.
I got the idea into my head to import some 18" c6 motor sport rims from the USA, then get tires here in WA that would fit and keep the same overall diameter.

I called up the licensing office and enquired about wether I would need to fill out any paperwork, and the lady answering the phones said no.
(Thinking back now she had that tone that people get when they just want you off the line.)

So I went and bought the rims and tyres and have been happy since. Until this morning when I started doing some searching on the WA transport website about body modifications, I was looking at the modification application sheet when I noticed it had a section on rim size.
This leads me to my question

Has anyone else here in WA had put bigger rims on their vette?
Did you have to fill out any forms with the licensing agency or have you had any trouble with the fuzz?

Cheers heaps

Aaron

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 am

Welcome again mate.
You should get some answers soon :o

Les88

Postby Les88 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi Aaron,
Welcome first timer.
Australi is right , I also got lots of good help from this forum.
I'm in Perth too.
I personally haven'y changed the rims on my 1988 but plan to go BIG when I find that special style.
I won't be applying for transports approval but thats just me.

With the C6 rims youve got, no cops gonna know the difference as long as they don't protrude from the wheel arches.

Yeah put some pics up there and tell us a bit more about your ride, how long youve had it , any plans for it , does it need work etc etc.

98lux

Postby 98lux » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:17 am

The only thing i would do is to tell your insurance company that you have changed the rims as they might see them as aftermarket and are not factory to your (C4) model.

If a Toyota Starlet can have 22" rims why can't a corvette have 18".

Return to “Fourth Generation C4 (1984-1996) General Discussion”