air pump

C4 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

Steve

air pump

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:54 pm

May sound silly
discovered my water pump was leaking :( started stripping it down to replace and found out much of the air system was damaged/worn and generally in poor condition .......so i decided to remove it
What i have left is the air pump a section of hose and the "stick with a filter) that is bolted on to the front of the engine
I started the car and it appears to run fine with no untoward noises .......has anyone had any experience with what i have done ?

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

OH YES; I have LOTS of experience with C4 airpumps and removing them / getting them 'rebuilt' and installing a free wheeler!!!

Can you post up a pic of what you mean by it having a filter on a stick? :shock:

It's obviously not plumbed in anymore - that won't matter to the cars performance (but may to main roads IF they knew what they were looking at!);
main thing is that airpump is rotating without noises - is it?

vetteoz

Postby vetteoz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:55 pm

australi wrote:Can you post up a pic of what you mean by it having a filter on a stick?

The steel intake tube for the AIR pump that runs down the front of the block

vetteoz

Re: air pump

Postby vetteoz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Steve wrote: .......has anyone had any experience with what i have done ?

The pump runs full time and air is injected into the exhaust only when needed ( start up )
By removing the outlet side of the plumbing the pump is just venting air back to the atmosphere
There is no feedback to the computer so no error codes will be generated with it disconnected

If the pump is faulty and can no longer be used as a pulley then usual trick is to install a pump eliminator

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 pm

vetteoz you are correct ,air pump functions ok BUT in time i will replace it with an idler pulley
I have a bigger problem now
started and ran the car after replacing fuel pump,ran it for over 30 mins with no issues whatsoever
Tried to start it this morning and its a no start situation ,sort of starts but then stumbles and does not start (if that makes sense)
i turn the key and i get the 2 second prime ,turn the key to start ,it then stumbles ,then the fuel pump appears to take a long time to re pressurise the line again
.fuel pump issue ?? unrelated to what i did at the front ?
I have had the car since july and have not used it much so far

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:35 am

...Maybe start this as a new post Steve

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:15 pm

do you have any fuel in the tank ? :-x

Return to “Fourth Generation C4 (1984-1996) General Discussion”