jumping ship...

C4 General Discussion

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

riverracer
*Senior Forum User

jumping ship...

Postby riverracer » Wed May 22, 2013 6:30 pm

thought that would get your attention tho...
i have a couple of questions for the late model guys.
mate from the club has just bought another c4 after he sold his coupe.
1988 convertible 30k on the clock, mirror conversion done by Corvette Restorations in Sydney about 10yrs ago.

anybody know if they are they still in business?
the car has no compliance/conversion plate fitted, hence he's having a hard time getting it rego'd here in sa.

down by the sill panel where the seatbelt mounts, there is a button marked "CINCH", any ideas what that is?
also when you pull on the shoulder belts quickly, they dont seam to lock. that's not correct is it?
i thought if you pulled them out slowly they would move, but if you yanked on them they should stop solid..

:D
Speed has never killed anyone,
Suddenly becoming stationary that's what gets you.

bfit

Postby bfit » Wed May 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Mate they still don't supply compliance plates in NSW
All that was required was an engineers report
Bfit

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Wed May 22, 2013 7:04 pm

As the former owner of a 88 Vert.
The button marked Cinch is for the seat belts.
As per the pulling thing, These are American seat belts, Pulling on them fast will not engage them, Slamming on the brakes will. In a American car, If you wish to lean forward quickly to have a better look, you can!
They are, (Yes even in 88 ) light years ahead of super Shitty Australian seat belts. Unfortunately, Australian Law doesn't say, Meet or Exceed, It say "Australian Standard only"
Thus when you buy a "Top of the line" car here in Oz. you get super shit sliding, orange buckle seat belts. (era 1969 in the rest of the world)
Buy a Merc or a BMW anywhere else on the planet, and it comes with modern, super nice seat belts. Not here!
And the "Cinch" belts were recalled in the states.

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Wed May 22, 2013 7:24 pm

I have tried edit ing that 4 times to say 88, But it keeps coming up with 8smile, What gives?

YLLA 88
*Gold Class Member #444

Postby YLLA 88 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Being a pervious owner of a 88 I know first hand that some of the Idiosyncrasies that the onboard compter has can bring a normal human being to he's knees so rather that chime in I'll wait for the MAN that is a legend in this area "sirfixallot" to chime in ... Geoff?

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 am

DOC wrote:I have tried edit ing that 4 times to say 88, But it keeps coming up with 8smile, What gives?

:-o - Fixed it for you Doc; it was the character for that emoticon; as in if you add a bracket ) AFTER 8, then it becomes a 8) :P

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am

Cinch belts recalled in USA hey? WHY?
They ARE a PITA I admit! :evil:

98lux

Postby 98lux » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 pm

DOC wrote: They are, (Yes even in 88 ) light years ahead of super Shitty Australian seat belts. Unfortunately, Australian Law doesn't say, Meet or Exceed, It say "Australian Standard only"
Thus when you buy a "Top of the line" car here in Oz. you get super shit sliding, orange buckle seat belts. (era 1969 in the rest of the world)

And the "Cinch" belts were recalled in the states.

Must be better than our "super Shitty Australian seat belts" :) :)
1968 L36 4 SPEED hmm Big Block
1969 454 4 SPEED hmm Bigger Block

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:18 pm

8)

nifty
*Gold Class Member #427

Postby nifty » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:18 pm

off topic slightly... but local bloke bought a blown 35 chev pickup from sydney a few yrs ago.. big doller car.. jag rear end etc etc.. full on showcar basically.. but he drives it.. thats the hotrod i took you around to see alan.. the guy with ALL the neat stuff... (including the last ever hsv monaro ever built... compliance plated 001...)
being from sydney it was engineered.. but that states engineering isnt on a par with s.a.'s... hence the ONLY way he could get rego after it failed a few things like lane change tests and bolt sizes, was to tear it down to every last nut and bolt, and replace the whole lot...he paid 95k for it..... and spent another 50 to get rego....

certainly hope its not the case with the 88 vette alan..

Return to “Fourth Generation C4 (1984-1996) General Discussion”