Thermo fans

C3 Specific - Technical and Performance

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

billet
General Forum User

Thermo fans

Postby billet » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:37 am

Okay having discovered the clearance problems with fitting Ford EL thermo fans fouling the front controll arms, I discovered Ford BF onwards run a single larger fan

Problem solved, $50 from the wreckers, they are three wire hook up with an inline resistor built in, I'm assuming low speed or for A/C low speed and then high speed. It's an awesome fit, not even trimmed yet

Easily big enough for the job

australi
* Founding Administrator

Re: Thermo fans

Postby australi » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:27 am

Good work :o :-)

ozziedropbear
*Senior Forum User

Postby ozziedropbear » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Damn 10 days ago this would have been perfect and saved my stuffing around :o
Let us know how it goes temp wise I may change mine again

Ollie68

Postby Ollie68 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:08 am

I tried the ef/el option but it just wouldn't even look like going near it.
I might just have to pick up a BF type and try it myself.
Well done Billet.

:D
Ollie

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:19 am

I discovered this a few years back. I've clearanced the shroud to fit around the control arm, however I now need to unbolt the control arm where it attaches to the chassis to remove my thermo fans... I need to swap to a BF fan.

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:18 am

I'm running twin Flexilites. I have had stupid problems over the last couple years. last time just a corroded wiring conn. but next time they play up, I too will look into this, And yes, please let us know how you go with the temps.

sirfixalot

Postby sirfixalot » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:32 am

The EF EL fans can be fitted with trimming around the upper control arm I have them fitted on my 78. The trick is to fit fan into engine bay undo the two upper bolts either side of radiator support panel push forward then slide radiator down between fans & support panel. I run two parallel control circuits & fuses, one for each fan so that if one fails you still have one running to get you home.I found out the hard way. Had a mounting screw come out fan jambed on shroud & blew fuse, no fans, was a simple fix when I got home just inconvenient.I have the sender wired so that if it fails the fans will be permanently on again will get you home. R/hand fan also cycles on & off with AC compressor like a modern car. Car runs cooler with AC on than off. Sender should be mounted in bottom radiator hose, or the large blank off plug in top of water pump. Build as much redundancy into the system as you can

billet
General Forum User

Postby billet » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Okay guys my car got rego middle of December, it's done 150 miles on the most horrendous effing hot days we've had. I had a couple of issues up front.
These fans have a built in resistor for slow and fast operation. Easy three wire hook up. I connected the a/c wire to the low and a temp switch (adjustable Davies Craig in top hose) to high speed.
Now I run EF-AU in other cars using 30amp fused relays no problem, in the vette I did the same, I was popping the fuse, I thought they may be cross feeding at the fan, so I fitted diodes there, still popped a fuse. So I rang a mate with a FG and asked him to check his book on the relays used, 40amp, bingo problem solved. I'm running 40amp circuit breakers before the now 40amp relays and I have removed the diodes as they don't cross feed. Stinking hot days it runs where I have them set to turn on, that mark between 100 and 220, not a problem.
I'm waiting on a high pressure 3/16th retrofit fitting for the A/C from the US as the 45 degree I bought here fouls the hood. However, if I shift the controls for the air into the A/C region the fan comes on in low speed.
I also mounted the fan upside down to give me a flat top surface for a better look

billet
General Forum User

Postby billet » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:40 pm

It's not much, but it is clearance!!

Flat alloy strip popped to fans and screwed to rad brace, angles used at the bottom to the same rad brace, I've run some sticky foam from Bunnings down the sides between fan and core, air pulled by fan has nowhere to go but through the radiator, I small piece of paper for a test sticks to every centremetre of the rad when the fan is going, $55.00 best cooling you could get

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:27 pm

I like that stabiliser bar - Thats NOT stock C3, IS it??
Mine never had one, tho it was a custom job.

billet
General Forum User

Postby billet » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:03 pm

That's a brace between the top control arm mounts, I believe it stops them flexing, I'm sure Doc could tell us more, I've only done 150 miles in a corvette ever, it's still not aligned yet

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:47 am

Correct a brace, go,s from the top of the shock tower to the top of the shock tower. supposed to add rigidity to the front end, also keep the frame from slowly, (Over years) bending in or out.

billet
General Forum User

Postby billet » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:15 pm

:o

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 am

You got it running , how about a look at it please ?

billet
General Forum User

Postby billet » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:54 pm

It's a rat vette

I was shuffling cars so I thought a group photo of some of them was in order, I think someone tried paint stripper on the hood

The mustang had a bra on it when it arrived from the states, no stone chips ever, also no paint left under the never removed bra, it's in for a closed door respray

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:17 pm

My front yard, 10 years ago. (just before the divorce).

billet
General Forum User

Postby billet » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Nice Doc

Bazzas77
*Gold Class Member #269

Postby Bazzas77 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 pm

sure got some shiny wheels for a rat vet :-x what's the plan , get it running then paint it ? and that stang , I always knew those bra things were no good :-x for a car I mean and you certainly are an all round car enthusiast (as in different brands ) thanks for the look .

and Doc ,what can I say :cry:

billet
General Forum User

Postby billet » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks Baz, the vettes done for now when I get an alignment and the ac gassed. You've seen the chassis before, it's completely done under the body. Yeah I need to tint the widows and roof tops too. I eventually want a L88 hood, just waiting on the US dollar to drop out of the market, shouldn't be long now :P

Return to “Third Generation C3 (1968-1982) Technical and Performance”