My Nissan 350Z

ALL NON CORVETTE SPECIFIC modes of transport.

Moderators: DOC, MR.WOLF, australi, smackC4

australi
* Founding Administrator

Re: My Nissan 350Z

Postby australi » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:28 am

Shifter adjustment MK II: (with pics) :-)

http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-in ... plate.html

Will do it today if I feel better; otherwise, Thomas has said he'll "do it this avo" :-o :)

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:00 pm

...Bloody Nissan running like a bag of shit since the other night; was GREAT the previous time I used it to go to Laidley...

- No codes coming up using my scanner ( nor any lights on the dash) but then it's not specifically Nissan...

Should've left the old plugs in; I think that freaked it out - at least it ran well and consistently! :evil:

As a matter of interest, in neutral the idle speed decreases when you push the clutch pedal IN like an automatic being put into drive, as if something's dragging on it. :?

Oh ps; never updated the last post; I DID adjust the above myself; HEAPS better shift even though it was only out 1mm! :o

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Idle drops when applying the clutch.
Ouch! I know what that is, and it ain't good!
Crank Bearings are worn out, When you open the clutch plates it's pushing the crank.
The drag of the now out of alignment crank pulls down the engine speed.
You need to rebuild your bottom end Mate.

ozziedropbear
*Senior Forum User

Postby ozziedropbear » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:55 am

Not disagreeing with Doc but it may not be that bad, when i had my VE Commodore ute, extensive engine work that required engine management and traction control reprogramming my tuner discovered the ECM had multiple tuning maps ( yes normal) but they also have maps for when the clutch is in or out. Fuel, revs, timing could be changed purely for when clutch pedal is pushed in. This came in handy as i wanted the revs to abruptly drop when clutch pushed in. I hated it holding the rpm a slowly dropping (all in the nane of emissions)
Not likely to be your problem if it has not been played with

How much of a change in RPM

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:59 pm

I APOLOGISE!!!MY mistake (was a stressful day); I also told Thomas the same via text, who said that was normal in new cars (yes; due to computer) – BUT : IN FACT what happens, is idle drops slightly (not by many RPM, but a bit) when clutch pedal is OUT (as in foot OFF pedal) - Sorry for confusion – I guess THAT’S fairly normal? - extra reciprocating mass dragging it slower?

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Thomas the mechanic came yesterday (saturday) ; think he’s onto something re WHY all of a sudden its running poorly; either MAF needs a clean or exhaust leak (it idles smoothly, but has rapid vibration and he said he reused the metal factory gasket when he reassembled exhaust after removing it for transmission access. Might get him to throw it up on his hoist as he offered today if he’s home. :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:44 am

Well; Just reminded, as IF I needed to be - WHY I avoid working on cars much these days...Back is KILLING me :evil:

- Finally Just got round to cleaning both the MAF (funny looking sensor in it; not a wire but a flat block type thing) and the TB.
No difference. :?

DOES sound like exhaust leak.

Not going to wait on Thomas especially anymore - he's a really nice genuine bloke, but CLEARLY since he's working again, time is just NOT in his favour to do cars privately often as he used to (He does it for his work - mostly big trucks these days).

Will drop round to an exhaust place sometime and get them to check / replace gasket as needed.

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Or, Just fix it yourself, No one loves your car more than you do!

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:30 pm

And Yes, My back hurts to! Remember, I have a few years on you.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:08 pm

Bloody hell.

I haven't yet solved poor (as in less than the prime performance I KNOW it has) running issue. BUT; when I was almost where I was going yesterday, suddenly it ran with a hell of a loss of oomph!

I've put the question elsewhere, but now wondering if CAT Convertor is blocked :evil: (there has been a lack of output on the cars lhs exhause VS it's right...

MAYBE its just a sensor (hopefully) but no fault light has come on at all. Am waiting (now even more anxiously) on a little OBD2 reader, that someone in the USA verifies works with his Z of the same year. Its coming from the USA. The ones I've asked about here, say not compatible with earlier than 2005 models, as even tho it HAS the correct port, it's not 'OBD2 compliant' according to any sticker anywhere... :?

Always often had really bad almost plastic smell inside the cabin too - NO idea wtf that is. I thought maybe aircon hoses with bacteria build up, but even after cleaning them with Glen20, it comes back.

IDEAS???

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:04 pm

Old car???

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:41 am

You've seen it: 180,000kms
Still goes like the clappers (Aussie term) when it's running right.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:29 am

Thank you SO MUCH Doc, for the contact person last night; Looking forward to an expert getting it back to form. :D :D :D
I'll call him monday :o :o :-)

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:10 pm

...Might ask him how much to fit the new headlights I got for it while its at his shop - Apparently front bumper has to come off...

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:53 pm

* Echoing here what I just wrote in daily blog, for future looking back...

Took the ZED down to Johnny today at Benea Bros Mechanical - Thanks again Doc for putting me onto them! :D :o
And guess what? - I FORGOT to bring the new headlights I wanted him to fit!!!!

- Sure was an expensive exercise going from home to his shop; lots of highway changes, tolls, get OFF one highway; do a u-turn to get back onto ANOTHER section of it - drive ONE km up it and take the next exit (IMMEDIATELY AFTER yet another tollgate!!!) - Multiply all that by my two cars and... :evil:

Judging by the 2 jappers in his shop with bumpers off - Its a MAJOR job for the mere mortal like me to do, just to access headlight mounts!! :x-

Noticed by my windscreen sticker, I've already done over 8500km in the car since I got it!!! - Told him he may as well give it an oil change whilst its there, and depending on what he thinks when he drives it - change the gearbox oil (this will be the 3rd time in under a year!) to the CORRECT NISSAN oil! -Its too notchy. (maybe its too full) anyway, I told him to make it GO well and dyno it if needed - Taking your advice on it Doc :o :-)

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Got the findings this morning on the Nissan; a misfire caused by leaking rocker cover gaskets, allowing oil onto coil-packs.
Johnny said first option : they could pull it all apart - which involves removing (what equates to valley cover in a V8), exhaust manifolds, and even some cooling lines then clean up the coils, reassemble, then re-run diagnostics and hopefully would be good...

He confirmed that if it was a faulty coil pack; they’d have to pull it all down again to get to it.
Instead; I'm getting them to replace all 6 coil packs with aftermarket units ($470 total for the coil packs) vs Nissan genuine ones at around $800 (He uses the non-genuine all the time) – this way given the cars mileage anyway, they should hopefully last a fair while!

All up, with labour which includes the service I asked for, replacing gearbox oil (for the third time - this time with the proper genuine Nissan oil which you can't buy the same grade of anywhere);
will be $1350.

I got couriers to take down the new headlights this afternoon and he said about an hours labour for that, which is pretty damn good. (I KNOW – I’ve now SEEN what's involved in these jap bumper removal!!

He also doesn't think the catalytic converters are stuffed, although they would have taken a beating with potential oil etc spraying on to them, so hopefully this will be sufficient!
He said it's quite easy to increase the performance considerably by the usual things like putting on another exhaust system (which you can find on the used market) and also cool air induction... perhaps that’s something for down the track... :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:01 am

...What a NIGHTMARE these cars are for access to stuff!
Found a video that shows in brief, what's involved to replace the valve cover gaskets :shock:

youtu.be/OsxijHibzXQ

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:29 pm

The Z is ready! :-) :o fw)

Picking up tomorrow.
He found two BIG bolts from top of gearbox MISSING! (Good one Thomas!); thankfully he had the right Nissan bolts there.

Am looking at hi-flo cats now; he said he only paid $110 each (I have 2) for them last time...I rang 3 places; all wanted $600 - $800!!

He reckons it'd really boost the performance at little cost and take him about 10 mins to fit.
Is on the to do list :o

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:32 pm

told ya Johnny knows his Jap cars! :C

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:28 am

:o :D

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:48 pm

heard a rumor that your little Jap beast is purring like a kitten again.
And pulling like a 12 year old school boy!
Cheers Mate! :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:09 am

Yep; back to how it was that influenced me to keep it for a while :o :o
Total $1438 all up (6 hrs labour for everything)

Some new pics (freshly washed); WITH new headlights I bought and had Johhny install;

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:49 pm

Used the car today all over Brisbane - So NICE to have it running right again (did a few chirpies, accidentally too) :)
Should be real nice when I get hi-flo cats on it, hopefully this week :-) :o

DOC
*Gold Class Member #777

Postby DOC » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:26 pm

you might want to call Johnny, heard he came off his bike.
he might be a bit behind on his work.

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:41 am

Yeah I WILL! Had no idea until you texted me. Hope he's ok!! - Didn't even know he rode actually...

The cats I can get online for $99 - $130 - Looking at..well...maybe I'll keep this bit offline these days 8) ;) 'Performance cats' :o
Just worried they'll set a code, but as you told me (also off line); shouldn't be an issue... :o

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 am

*** UPDATED Photo yesterday, with new lights (and washed!) :)

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:49 pm

YEP! Time to tap this thread, AGAIN FFS!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

...This Nissan is more troublesome then the vette it was traded for inasmuch anything that goes wrong in it is normally expensive!

Came home and noticed from Kenmore the clutch pedal was delayed popping up the rest of the travel by itself with a 'bump' & gears are hard to engage... this rings a bell on what was said on the Nissan 350 Z forum back when I got Thomas to replace the clutch; that one should replace the seals in the actuator while the transmissions' out - which he didn't do. :x-

Hopefully - from browsing the workshop manual just now though; because mine is pre 2006, you don't need to take the transmission back out to get to it...touching wood!!

- but had enough of cars again!
no wonder I don't play with them anymore!! :twisted: :evil: :evil:

australi
* Founding Administrator

Postby australi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:27 pm

How very odd!

... remember me telling you about the Nissan and it's seemingly draging clutch or whatever it was last time I drove it? - Just took it for a test drive - everything is perfect!! :roll: fw)

...Obviously possessed by the devil, like most cars... :evil: :x-

Return to “ALL OTHER VEHICLES; Cars, Aircraft, Boats & Motorbikes”